o
roses that made through winter

Posted by pembroke 6--Louisville KY (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 16:53

I have three pics of roses this is Chrysler Imperial

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roses that made through winter

In a similar zone, my beloved Mr. Lincoln passed away this winter, along with several others. I can't remember a year with so much winter damage.

This post was edited by mikeber on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:27

o

I too have lost Mr. Lincoln. Thinking about trying for a different red now. Suggestions?? Pembroke

o

I have two reds I love. Oklahoma & Royalty.

o

I also live in Louisville and lost Mr. Lincoln. I grow many red roses and love Vetrans Honor, Firefighter and Alec`s Red as fragrant big bloom reds.For a fuller red bloom, Braveheart is hard to beat. Love that red rose.I worried so much about my roses after our winter. Lost about 20, had to cut all down to the soil and guess what? My roses are glorious this spring. Best ever! Yes, I lost some but the ones left are outstanding and I am thrilled. lesley

o

The only rose I lost was Chrysler Imperial. For a replacement, I bought a well-grown Oklahoma (dark red) from my local garden center a few blocks away. Not only is Oklahoma blooming beautifully, but it has the BIGGEST red blooms I've ever seen (well, Mr. Lincoln might be an exception--maybe). No disease problems yet with Oklahoma--lots of healthy leaves all the way down the cane. Has a couple buds that should open in the next few days--maybe I can get a photo in about a week.

Based on my limited experience with my new Oklahoma, I strongly recommend this hybrid tea.

Kate.

o

I could not agree more about Oklahoma....the size of those blooms astound me

o

I lost my Mr. Lincoln, too. SO sad. My JFK is borderline. Not a good winter for presidential roses.

o

I also lost Mr. Lincoln! Some of the others looked bad, but are coming back.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 18:41

Lovely big red bloom! There's a reason some of these oldies are still around and that pic shows why!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here