Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marydanielle_gw

help please!!!!

MaryDanielle
11 years ago

I ordered some plugs earlier in the week, and they came completely dried up and wilted the plug or dirt was completely dry and the foliage is brittle!!! I have them soaking in water with a little superthrive, but they haven't perked up one bit. :/ Is there any way to save them??? I have pictures but have no clue how to post them.

Comments (26)

• northtexasdude
    11 years ago

load the pictures on to a site like Photobucket. When you do that it will give you a webaddress that you can paste into your postings here that will display for everyone. Please post pics! Please let us know the nursery! If they are dead contact the nursery right away to get your money back!
    Photobucket is free and easy: http://photobucket.com/

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

[IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/marydaniellesantos/Rose%20Plugs/IMG_1373.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/marydaniellesantos/Rose%20Plugs/IMG_1375.jpg[/IMG]

It was off of a lady on Etsy... I've had great success with sellers on Etsy from seeds to plants, but the plugs were shoved in a small flat rate box, with nothing to keep the roots moist. :( I might pot them up and hope for the best, but I won't hold my breath... I was so excited, they were my very first roses...

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I fixed the links...

{{gwi:275423}}
    {{gwi:275424}}

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

That's pretty disappointing. I'd stll contact the seller. She should have known to wrap in moist newspaper and then in plastic wrap at the very least. Temps seem to be high everywhere right now.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

If these were mine I would pot them up in one gallon pots, and cut back the canes to maybe 4-5 inches above the dirt, making sure there are bud eyes in the part you leave, and hope. They may recover, but not if you leave all that foliage on them.

Jackie

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie,

Thank you for the tip!!! I'm going to do that now since they've been soaking for a couple hours now. I'll take pictures and post some again to see if I did it right.

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of them didn't have but maybe one distinct bud eye, so I tried to keep a few of the more healthy foliage on them... I was going to keep them in these pots I made until they grew out of them so it's not all a waste. If they die, I'll just wash and reuse.

{{gwi:275425}}
    {{gwi:275426}}
    {{gwi:275427}}
    {{gwi:275428}}

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

I used to sell on etsy and what I would do is contact the seller because that is unacceptable to even ship anything like that and if you don't get a response I would email etsy and file a complaint and then if the seller doesn't get back to you I would leave a negative response..

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

by the way what are those pots!! Those are soo cute :-)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You still have some green cane there so hopefully they'll recover. When you potted them could you see how big the root ball was? Were there any small white feeder roots?

How did you make those pots? They're adorable!

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to give her a chance to respond. I'm hoping that she maybe didn't know any better, because this would be my very first bad experience on Etsy. I'll give her by the end of tomorrow, she's usually very quick to respond to my questions, so maybe something came up.

And Thank You!! I make them myself, and they actually have wonderful drainage. (I sew some mesh I use for bonsai to the drainage hole). :) I'm quite proud of them myself. I've made 2 16-inch and 1 14-inch pot to see how they'll hold up with more weight and demand. But the smaller ones are working perfect so far.

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't see any white roots, but overall the roots looked healthy. So here's hoping!! I'm still a bit disappointed that simple packing procedures weren't used. :/

And I pretty much just make a few templates of the sizes I want, I have a liner like 100% cotton muslin (unless it's vinyl like the one with multiple colors) and a more decorative outside. Also the muslin retains water and the soil, so I cut a hole in the bottom for drainage and sew a mesh (like you use in bonsai). I like to bond the two layers together and sew. You can make them square and use a sewing machine, but I sew mine by hand to make them round. It's a bit time consuming but I feel they're too cute not to make them!!! :)

• User
    11 years ago

You have every right to expect a refund. Nobody should receive plants in that condition, having been so poorly packaged for the journey. End of story.

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay! I was wondering that since I've potted them up anyways, if I should still ask for a refund. If she doesn't respond, I'll talk to etsy and leave negative feedback on her profile. Thank you!!! I can be kind of a push over sometimes. :)

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Mary won't the fabric rot?

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't believe so, I did a lot of research on materials, and though the outer material may not be able to handle the soil and waterings the muslin (which is much like burlap) liner will hold. Its tough so it holds the weight and its a lot like the material used to wrap up plants. I dont see it harming the plants either. I haven't had any issues so far, and I believe the fabric might allow some circultion. :)

Also I heard back from the seller... she says to give them til the end of the weekend. :/ I think I should demand a refund... they're sick weak plants and if I do get them to grow, will they stay weak? Maybe not being able to support themselves like they should... I don't know I'm new to roses, but wouldn't accept it for my orchids or bonsai.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

I would ask for a refund and be done with her. Someone who does not know how to ship roses may also be lax on other details, such as proper identification. You get what you pay for. Use a reputable rose dealer. You will pay more and more for shipping, but you will get larger, healthier, well-rooted, properly id-ed plants shipped correctly.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

I agree with Catsrose I would ask for my money back.... I don't have a problem with buying plants on etsy but if she is selling rooted cuttings then she should know how to ship them. I am a newbie with roses but with shipping any plant it needs to be moist.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Probably the reason why she told you to wait is because she doesn't have the money to give you a refund....

• nastarana
    11 years ago

MaryDanielle, I love the fabric pots. You say you line with muslin, would that be a light weight muslin bonded to the outer fabric. Does fabric content of the outer shell matter?

I was thinking of doing something similar for black pots this summer. I have to pay the nurseries for their discarded pots $1. each.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Is that outer layer a vinyl table cloth? I think I looked at the floral one when hunting for out door table covers. They are very cute

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The seller says that she doesn't mind giving a refund and that this is her first bad shipment of her plants... so here's hoping it's a learning experience for us both.

nastarana, I use medium or heavy weighted muslin. It holds better... and put to a weight test can hold my 75 lb dog in the middle without ripping. Lol. They've worked out great so far, and no the outer fabric doesn't need to be anything special. Fabric no matter what we use it for gets dirty and wet and washed and reused. So I figure it will hold up pretty well, although this is my first year using them so I can't say for sure. Please remember if you're making them to use a mesh for the drainage holes!!! It really really helps!

Kippy-the-Hippy (love your name btw) I did use a vinyl tablecloth! It was actually the first one I made to check to see if they would even hold soil nicely or not. (because the material was so cheap, I thought it the best to experiment with) I then moved onto researching other durable fabrics, and came up with muslin, burlap, and duck cloth being the best economical choices (trying to make 16 inch pots for a fraction of the price to get some 2 year rose plants as I'm just starting out. Lol.). I didn't line the vinyl ones though... as they hold water well and the soil, doesn't seep through to create a rather ugly display. :)
    I'm making a few for my TB Iris as well. and think that they'll be stunning with their blooms. Best thing is that you can add even more color to your garden!!!

Let me know if you want me to make one (I'm willing to trade for some cuttings as I'm only starting out and obviously not to a good one), or try to create a tutorial to making them.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I've done something similar with leftover fabric but instead of making a pot, I "slipcovered" ugly plastic pots to sit on my porch. Yours are really cute.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Keep us updated :)

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I might have to do something similar as a black plastic pot cover! Fun idea.

• NewGirlinNorCal
    11 years ago

Those are the cutest darn things ever- I'm going to give them a try!