Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Elegance

Posted by Jim1940 4 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 17:15

I'm supposed to be in zone 5 but most of my "Knock-out"s are being winter killed (those the beaver didn't get). I think the "Easy Elegance" hybrids might be the ticket being hardy to zone 4. Also I've been unable to locate any source for the "Easy Elegance" line locally (north of Watertown, NY - right on the Canadian border). Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Elegance

Skip those and go straight to Explorers. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Given your climate, you are going to need something cane hardy, or it will never produce. I have no reason to believe Easy Elegance roses are cane hardy here, let alone north of here.

If you can't find them locally, you can mail order from Pickering in the spring. Around here, the selection of roses that can actually do well here is minimal, and I have no reason to believe it would be better on the other side of the state.

o

On the rose hybridizers forum, the ee variety High Voltage is reported to grow well in Twin Cities z4 (david ziesak) and in northern minnesota z3 (joe bergeson). Of course, what grows in minn may not survive in ny.
rosefire.com has several ee vars in stock; they sell 1gal own root plants for $13; shipping to ny may be pricey. Kashmir has been a very impressive var in our garden for past two yrs.

o

In my z4 area EE & Dr. Buck roses do much better than the KO roses. Below is a link to another GW discussion on the EE roses

Here is a link that might be useful: EE roses

o

Freckle Face looked really good at chadwick arboretum, columbus ohio. Only source for this var is Pim Ling in oregon, and shipping from there costs a fortune.

o

Does Kashmir have any fragrance? Some Easy Elegance roses have Buck parents. Freckle Face is a Buck rose. Roses Unlimited has lots of Buck roses including Freckle Face. Some of the hardier Austins survive in zone 4. Repeating OGRs like Jacques Cartier and Rose de Rescht are also hardy. Then there are the rugosa hybrids.

o

I'm in zone 4a in MN, and I've had EE "My Girl" for 3 years. It has been completely hardy with zero winter protection.

o

Funny face is ee var referred to above; freckle face is buck, as predfern pointed out. My mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here