Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coralb_gw

Deep pink or apricot climber

coralb
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband is making me another trellis for by birthday so I need to start thinking about a rose to put on it. I already have America, Carding Mill (which I love), and Abraham Darby (which I am very luke warm about). I would like to get either a deep pink or apricot climber for the new trellis.

I need a rose that does well in zone 7 and would like one with excellent rebloom (or continual bloom). Fragrance is optional. While I do spray for BS I don't do it as often as I should so some resistance is a plus.

I am considering Zephrine Drouhin. Any other suggestions? Also, anyone in the Carolinas grow ZD? How does it perform for them?

Comments (18)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

La-Goo-Nah! La-Goo-Nah! ('Laguna', Kordes, 2004)

{{gwi:275827}}

{{gwi:275828}}

• ceterum
    13 years ago

I second Hoovb, for deep pink get Laguna from Palatine or Pickering nurseries. I do garden in NC and I also have ZD that I like very much but Laguna is totally disease free and has gorgeous very double and very fragrant flowers.

Hoovb, I am so glad that I see yours in full bloom! Gorgeous!!! I am deadheading mine but I will never be done with that many flowers (L. finished sooner more or less due to the unusual very drying winds we had but I already see new buds!)

Here is Laguna in coastal NC

{{gwi:244253}}

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Or Papi Delbard for apricot. It also is disease resistant, fragrant, and gorgeous.

ZD is highly susceptible to blackspot and powdery mildew and didn't bloom much after June.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Yes, Papi D. is gorgeous - so it all depends how tall is the structure you need a rose for. Papi D. Is a much smaller rose while Laguna has become a monster is a much shorter period of time. Aloha Hawaii is also apricot(sort of) - it is new to me, planted this spring (came from Pickering), so I don't know too much about its size yet, but so far it is just as clean as Laguna.

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Yes, Papi Delbard is a shrubby climber with basal shoots so far only around 7'. It is also rather stiff. But I think it benefits from support, because the very large, heavy flowers sometimes hang downward. I really like this rose and appreciate Ceterum's recommending it a few years ago.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Viking Queen is a nice rich pink and quite disease-resistant also. Since mine is wrapped around a pillar, I particularly like the flexibility of VQ's canes. I highly recommend this climber.

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Either Polka or Constellation would be good for an apricot.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

I also like Viking Queen-----Another nice one is Compassion -----

Florence

• michaelg
    13 years ago

If the OP is in the East, Polka would probably require frequent spraying.

• coralb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have a 2 story house so the trellis can be as large as I want. The one I have now is about 8-9 feet.

• the_morden_man
    13 years ago

Deep Pink- Laguna
    Apricot- Aloha Hawaii

• ceterum
    13 years ago

I love Compassion and it is also very clean here and produces wonderfully fragrant flowers but it has relatively stiff canes and I doubt that it will grow that high. It is a wonderful rose though.
    Papi Delbard isn't that high either. I have this rose for about 6 or 7 years and I train it on a Monet umbrella trellis and I never found that it outgrew it. It is, no doubt, gorgeous and the foliage is clean. If it is well fed and watered, the flowers are enormous and the variations in colors are amazing to me (in case the thrips don't get the flowers first) but the rose isn't a tall climber. News to me from Michael that the flowers are good for cutting - I never tried to cut the flowers for the house.

Here is a not very good photo of Papi Delbard from 2008 when the rose was glorious but the photographer could not hold the camera straight :-))

{{gwi:236797}}

I you want to try a Noisette, there is Reve d'Or(again: sort of apricot with gold). I planted it in the spring (got the plant own root from Chamblee's) and it grows like crazy but did not flower a lot yet. However, in the first year not many climber will flower a lot. Grafted plants do have an advantage over own roots in this respect, no question about it -my first year Jasmina is blooming and loaded with buds (grafted, also from Pickering). The Noisette Crepuscule is positively apricot but I am told that it is slow growing and it is not available grafted now (mine is grafted, so it wasn't slow).

Crepuscule on our pergola

{{gwi:244893}}

All in all, if you want a fast growing, very double, very fragrant climber with clean foliage, I would recommend a grafted Laguna from Palatine or Pickering.

• coralb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I am sold on the Laguna. I realize I will probably have to wait until next year. I am also thinking I can do something with a Papi Delbard. Where can I get them in the US?

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Palatine and Pickering ship to the US and it's no extra trouble. If they don't have Papi, Roses Unlimited does.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

Is Laguna at all cane hardy in 5a? I am replacing my ZD and probably my Coral dawn, too, although I love both. I NEED a good climber of that color, and repeat would be a HUGE bonus.

If she died back each winter would her regrowth be vigorous? I would hate to have to compromise on color and get a Rambling Red or Quadra, which I am sure both would be almost satisfactory. But I WANT that pink to stand out against my brick.

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

>My husband is making me another trellis for by birthday so I need to start thinking about a rose to put on it. I already have America, Carding Mill (which I love), and Abraham Darby (which I am very luke warm about). I would like to get either a deep pink or apricot climber for the new trellis.

I'm not sure that Cornelia is as deep as you're thinking of, but it's not pale either. The overall effect of its bloom color is apricot pink. Healthy. Gets some cercospora fungus here but not enough to set it back. Doesn't dieback in the winter in zone 7. Fragrant, floriferous over a long season, fairly low in thorns, lots of flexible canes. Stays healthy in a much shadier spot than most roses would. Looks good in the landscape.

Cornelia would work on the trellis you have, but wouldn't go all the way up a 2-storied size. Depending on its location relative to Carding Mill, it would tend to pick up that color again in the landscape, a plus as the eye sweeps over the area.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• cjrosaphile
    13 years ago

Yesterday, I was at Heirloom and took this picture of Apricot Impressionist. I have The Impressionist and it is also absolutely beautiful, but the Apricot version is very fragrant. Love it, gotta have it.

Also saw Royal Pageant -- very healthy, beautiful blooms. Apricot roses are my favorite. Hope these photos help.

Apricot Impressionist:
    {{gwi:275831}}
    Royal Pageant:

{{gwi:275833}}

• cjrosaphile
    13 years ago

Am just learning how to put photos on here. Let's try this link for the Apricot Impressionist:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:275826}}