Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rinaldo_gw

shrubbier HTs

rinaldo
11 years ago

What do you consider to be the fullest, shrubbiest, least gawky, bare-legged hybrid teas?

Comments (14)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Gardens of the World in these parts. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens of the World

• jerome
    11 years ago

I agree with Jeri about Secret - here it's bushy. Other bushy ones for me (own root, just FYI): Tahitian Sunset; Gemini and Lemon Spice (this one grows a lot like a Tea rose here)

I've got to try Gardens of the World some day.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I'm sorry Jerome, I didn't know you needed one. My last cutting grown one from this years wraps went home to Thousand Oaks. It rooted VERY easily! It was the first time I'd tried it. Secret is a nice plant. I grew the original in Newhall, but have Secret's Out, the white sport, now. Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

AH! Jerome -- Contact me! We just found something interesting, in "pot city."

Kim's right. Gardens Of The World roots like a champ, and does not need budding. Too d*mned bad it was EVER budded! It's a great, and greatly-ignored rose.

Jeri

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

An oldy but a goody is 'Mme. Jules Bouch�', an old HT that takes much of its character from the Tea side of its ancestry. It's an elegant fragrant white, not snow white but with a touch of parchment or honey at the flower center, the plant more upright than spreading, and its growth is midway between HT and Tea, twiggier and more branched than most Hybrid Teas. It comes easily from cuttings and is a tough variety. I prune mine sparingly. This is a passalong rose found, I'm told, throughout Italy, and deservedly popular.
    Melissa

• rinaldo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the promising leads!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Snowbird also fits that description, Melissa. Very "Tea" in character with a wonderful, though light, "honeysuckle" fragrance. A beautiful older HT from the 1930s. Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Second the recommendation of Snowbird.
    I have it, grown from cuttings taken from an old plant in the San Fernando Valley. "Louise Avenue." :-)

It's a beauty. Here' it's disease-free, and with water, its a non-stop bloomer.

Jeri

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

I agree totally with the recommendations of Gemini, Tahitian Sunset, and Secret. All are delightfully shrubby for me when I keep disease in check.

Another wonderfully shrubby rose is Perfect Moment. Just a gorgeous bloom, but no scent.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

At least here, though, Perfect Moment has a very long laundry list of foliage issues. Increase the heat and light intensity and it has an extremely short, "perfect moment". Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

OH YEAH! The play on words is that it is "Perfect For A Moment."
    What I don't like about it is that (at least in my conditions) blooms don't just fade, or drop their petals -- they inevitably turn into lumps of brown, wrinkled, wadded YUCK.

Jeri

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Oh no!! It's one of my best performers here in Illinois. It starts out a deep lemon yellow with a firey edge and then turns deep pink and crimson. I can't deal with blooms that look like dirty kleenex!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

It's interesting to see the recommendations from different parts of the country. Many of the roses from the California posters haven't survived long enough in my zone 5 garden (even in their first summers) to be more than twigs - including Secret, Lemon Spice, and 3 tries at Gardens of the World in prime locations. I agree that Gemini does well for me and I have high hopes for my second try at Tahitian Sunset.

What works better for me in my dry zone 5 climate are first and foremost my Delbards - Comtesse de Segur and Dames de Chenonceau bloom as prolifically and on as nice a bush as the shrub Delbards (and those are truly impressive plants). Being zone 5, we need enough cane left after winter to make a nice shrubby bush from the HTs, so the Kordes (especially Fairy Tale types, or Die Welt) and some Bucks (notably Lafter) are reliably shrubby for me all year. Among the older HT varieties, Gruss an Coberg is shrubby and blooms most of the way down the bush.

Being zone 7, your results may be more like the California folks, but I thought I'd throw in another point of view.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths