Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Pepper Tree Leaves as Mulch - Yes or No?

I'm revisiting this topic since the results of a previous question about this were inconclusive, and we are having people come in to chop down dead trees, cut down weeds and remove the leaves from under the pepper trees in order to be prepared for any fires. There are thick layers of leaves under every tree and rather than having them carted off I'd like to use them as much-needed mulch in the garden. There is a belief that the leaves are toxic and will hurt plants that are mulched with them. I'd love to have your opinion.

Thanks in advance for any information. This job will be done tomorrow so I'd love to hear from you as soon as possible.

Ingrid

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with pepper trees. Are they toxic like our black walnut trees?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After all the responses on the antique rose forum I've decided it's not a good idea, and fortunately I now have an alternate source.

Ingrid

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

This intrigued me since I do a lot of composting. Down the page at this link she discusses pepper trees.

Could find nothing at Cornell U. site. A person at another site says pieces of Brazilian pepper tree mulch can root.

Could you share the antique rose forum link? TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: http://patwelsh.com/wpmu/blog/trees/california-pepper-tree-or-mexican-pepper-tree/

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique forum link

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thanks Seil.

Only thing I can find is slow disintegratin of Brazilian pepper leaves. A bonus for my soil.