Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper Tree Leaves as Mulch - Yes or No?

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 17:26

I'm revisiting this topic since the results of a previous question about this were inconclusive, and we are having people come in to chop down dead trees, cut down weeds and remove the leaves from under the pepper trees in order to be prepared for any fires. There are thick layers of leaves under every tree and rather than having them carted off I'd like to use them as much-needed mulch in the garden. There is a belief that the leaves are toxic and will hurt plants that are mulched with them. I'd love to have your opinion.

Thanks in advance for any information. This job will be done tomorrow so I'd love to hear from you as soon as possible.

Ingrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper Tree Leaves as Mulch - Yes or No?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:11

I'm not familiar with pepper trees. Are they toxic like our black walnut trees?

o

After all the responses on the antique rose forum I've decided it's not a good idea, and fortunately I now have an alternate source.

Ingrid

o

This intrigued me since I do a lot of composting. Down the page at this link she discusses pepper trees.

Could find nothing at Cornell U. site. A person at another site says pieces of Brazilian pepper tree mulch can root.

Could you share the antique rose forum link? TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: http://patwelsh.com/wpmu/blog/trees/california-pepper-tree-or-mexican-pepper-tree/

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:56

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique forum link

o

Thanks Seil.

Only thing I can find is slow disintegratin of Brazilian pepper leaves. A bonus for my soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here