Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do I throw in the towel?

Posted by newhomeownerNY 5a (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:29

Thanks to the polar vortex, I hard pruned all of my roses last month. All but two have rebounded nicely and most are budding. The two that have not made any progress are fragrant plum roses. Part of me tells me to be patient, while the other part says dig them and go shopping. One has a 4" cane with two leaf buds. The other is cut to the ground with one leaf bud. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do I throw in the towel?

I'd yank them. Even if they do start growing, they don't really have enough time to get anywhere before next winter sets in. If you are going to grow HTs around here, you need to embrace the churn. There are always more roses. Some of them might even settle in and stay awhile.

o

First, if you are going to keep them, cut off the buds. If you are afraid they won't make it through next winter, you could dig them up and put them in pots so you can take them inside this fall.

o

Would you cut off the "leaf buds"? I can understand (and suggest) removing the flower buds when they occur, but leaf buds? Thanks. Kim

o

Thank you!

o

oops sorry, I thought they were flower buds.

o

Oh, Mad,

"embrace the churn" Love, love, love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here