Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scientific study - rose virus paper

Posted by henry_kuska z5 OH (kuska@neo.rr.com) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 17:39

Published in Archives of Virology, May 2014.

Title: Complete nucleotide sequence of rose yellow leaf virus, a new member of the family Tombusviridae

Authors: Dimitre Mollov, Ben Lockhart, David C. Zlesak

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00705-014-2106-3#

----------------------------------------------

Unfortunately,the abstract contains very little (if anything) of interest to most rose growers (in my opinion).

I expected that the Minnesota group was going to prepare a description of their rose virus research which would include such things as typical symptoms, method of spread, effects on growth, etc. However, nothing so far as I can determine has appeared.

For another rose virus that they discovered, the following was stated: "Yes we have a transmission paper in the works with pictures of symptoms and other details that would be useful to those especially in plant disease clinics to confidently identify plants with it."

See:
http://www.rosebreeders.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53132&p=53142&hilit=virus#p53142

Also, as far as I can determine, the 2012 Ph.D. thesis has not been released to the public.

Title: Identification, transmission, and genomic characterization of four new viruses in cultivated rose
http://plpa.cfans.umn.edu/AlumniFriends/Graduates/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link to abstract of new publication

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scientific study - rose virus paper

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:27

I hardly think that's called for, Caldonbeck. You're not required to read anything on here that you find tedious so just skip it if you're not interested. Some of us do find Henry's information interesting and useful.

o

You're probably right seil - being mean but this stuff takes soporific to a whole new level. I struggle to find any relevance to a gardener. This is after all a garden forum. These are dull, university papers posted continuously. Can you hand on heart say you've ploughed through any of this stuff and come out the other end having gained anything?

o

There are rose diseases out there that are important to those of us in North America. What is in the scientific papers (Yes, I do read them) is important to many of us for the continued health and survival of our gardens.

Do a search about Downey Mildew. Then do a search about Chili Thrips. Then look to Rose Rosette.

Then thank your lucky stars that so far, these pestilences aren't being propagated in your part of the rose world by people who can't be bothered to learn about both the good and bad sides of rose growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here