Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelasv_gw

climbing golden celebration

pamelasv
13 years ago

How should I train this particular climbing rose? It is not next to a wall, btw.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Golden Celebration can be grown as a climber, apparently, but is not per se a climbing rose and many, if not most, people grow it as a large bush. There are some Austins that can be grown as climbers, perhaps more so in the warmer zones, and David Austin advertises them as climbers, but they are identical to the bush roses, which can be confusing.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

It probably won't get that large in zone 5, with your shorter growing season and harsher winters.

Here it's a big arching shrub, not a climber.

As Ingrid says, Austin catalog comments can be confusing for US gardeners.

In the UK, they appear to understand that 'as a climber' means you prune the rose in such a way as to create a small climbing rose.

Here some people are assuming there's a climbing plant and a shrub plant that happen to have the same flower and the same name. There isn't. Just one, pruned differently.

• buford
    13 years ago

I have one and as hoov says, it's not a true climber, but you can train it to a pillar if you want to. That's what I am going to do. Just take the long canes and wrap them around and secure at the top.

• pamelasv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It actually has a couple canes that are growing straight up like a climber, many of the others shoot vertically at the bottom, then curve up. Yes, I got it from David Austin in the climbers section, assuming there was a difference. ??

• pamelasv
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that what anybody elses does?

• jerijen
    13 years ago

We have 6 or seven of it. They grow in a row, as an informal privacy hedge. All are upright, and a bit arching, and definitely SHRUBS, rather than climbers.

And, take note: We do not prune them. And we are in a very, very, very mild, no-chill climate.
    If they wanted to grow really long "climbing" canes, they'd be welcome to do so, but they never have, and I doubt they ever will.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful:

• karenforroses
    13 years ago

Pamela, I grow Golden Celebration on a free standing tutour here in Northern Michigan. It doesn't get much taller than 6 feet here because of our winters, so I wrap the canes around the tutour. They bloom better when they are horizontal and it keeps the height at about 5 feet. Here it is on the white tutour.

{{gwi:276179}}

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

Mine has shown no inclination to climb and is instead a decent sized bush. It gets to about 4' by 4' by the end of summer.

• predfern
    13 years ago

Mine died over the first winter.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    13 years ago

We tried growing ours as a climber since it is next to a chain link fence, but it really wants to be a large bush, so I cut out the old canes and shortened the new ones to start over this year.

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

Like many have said, Golden Celebration is a medium arching shrub. In order to become an arching shrub it can throw out rather long 8' or thereabouts long canes. If you wanted to use it as a climber, you simply peg them upwards and let GC climb. Here is chic3721's GC in Brooklyn. It's not pegged completely up, but more pegged to arch beside a trellis in the back of the photo.
    {{gwi:276180}}