Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on bare root (just received from J & P) - how to handle

Posted by Paola46 10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 17:47

Hello everyone,

Just got my "Disneyland" bare root from Jackson and Perkins. There is some mildew on it. I tried to call and reason with them. Meanwhile, should I soak it in some weak bleach solution or... Vinegar? I am sooooo afraid to bring again mildew in my garden, just got rid of it three weeks ago.
Would greatly appreciate your input.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on bare root (just received from J & P) - how to handl

I am going through this now with my young roses. The leaves don't like being sprayed and systemic is probably not a good idea. I would remove the infected leaves and give the rose plenty of water.

o

Thank you, but there are no leaves anyhow. I just got those two roses packed in plastic and bareroot. The mildew is on canes, bud union and even on roots. I cut whatever I could and placed them in water to soak. It would be good to kill the virus somehow.
Please help!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 14 at 19:49

Soak them in a diluted bleach solution for a bit and then pot them up and isolate them from your other roses until it clears up. However, the fungus that causes mildew is already present in your garden and only needs the right weather conditions to grow and show up on your roses. You really can't prevent it from showing up if the conditions are right for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here