Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_n_ga_mts

Notes on the HT Dark Night

ken-n.ga.mts
11 years ago

Also called Eddy Mitchell but the ARS official name is Garden Director Bartje Miller. What ever you want to call it, I was lucky enough to get 2 plants of this HT last spring. Planted them fairly close together (18" apart). They grew very well last year and bloomed quite often. Watched the effect the weather had on the blooms all last year. It over wintered very well with no cane die back. Weird winter. 50 degrees one day, 20 degrees the next day. Anyway, it wasn't fazed. Pruned very lightly this spring and it took off. This year they are one huge bushy bush. Beautiful foliage and several basil breaks. Now for the blooms. Beautiful burgundy with pale yellow undertones. They do not like cold weather. They turn a nasty tan/dirty brown on the bush. Hot sunny weather, they burn. So what to do?? I cut the blooms and bring them in the house. Just as the sepals go down and the petals start to move, I cut them and bring them in. The blooms slowly open keeping the beautiful velvet burgundy color and last over a week in the house. With the weather related problems the blooms were giving me I was ALMOST ready to give it away. I'm glad I started to bring them in. This rose has already earned it's place in my cutting garden. If you bring cut roses inside, this is the rose for you. If you live in a hot, dry area and only grow roses for color in the garden, you may want to pass. This rose SHOULD be reintroduced next spring. I'll be putting two more in my garden.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH