Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

does this look dead??

jameya
9 years ago

Hello, I am a newbie when it comes to growing things. Last year I bought a "stick" rose at a big box store and planted it, and it seems to be doing great and has some leaves on it now. I also bought a larger rose bush (can't remember the names of them) but the larger one I planted don't seem to be doing that well. And I'm not sure I planted it right. I looked on the tag and on the nurseries website and it said to plant the "crown" towards the top of the soil, but now I've been reading online that I most likely put it underground a bit more since I am in zone 5 (central indiana) and winters can get kind of crazy. I did have about 2 inches of mulch around it through out the fall and winter and I dug the mulch from around it a bit to see if there was any green on the stems. There isn't. And there are no leaves or anything on it, so I'm wondering if it might be dead, or if I can try and save it somehow. I put a couple banna peels around it a couple weeks ago if that makes a difference. Any thoughts or advice??

Comments (9)

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of it..no leaves or new growth, but yet my other rose does have green and red ish leaves.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

If this was my rose, I'd cut off to the ground to see if this will stimulate some new growth. After about 2 weeks and nothing going on, out it would go.

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, tomorrow I will cut it...how much do I cut off, and do I cut it enough just to leave small sticks barely sticking out of the ground?? Do I cut the thicker stems that are close to the ground already?? Sorry, I have no clue as to what I am doing, so bare with me. And if somehow I get lucky and it grows should I cover the "crown" a bit more then it is now, or leave it??

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I was just reading on another rose thread and read someones post that had a great idea .... Could I dig up that rose after I trim it back tomorrow and then plant another rose there (I just bought 3 chrysler imperial roses) and then take the dead looking one, dig it up and check the roots to see if they look healthy and just mix in some good soil and compost and plant it in a large pot to try and get its health back up (if it isn't already past the point of saving) and then over winter in my garage during winter and replant it next spring if its doing okay?? Or would that be too much stress on if there is a chance of saving it?? I don't mind leaving it if it might be ok, and I will trim it down tomorrow. I have been reading up on the fourms here and learned a lot of good tid bits!! Like I seriously didn't even think about making sure my trimmers are washed between cutting each plant. (Shake my head) you would think common sense would of put that great idea in my head because it makes so much sense...but I reckon I don't have all that much sense then. Lol. THANK YOU ALL so much for the advice and time you all take on these forums to help people, and plants out!! And the pictures on here are BEAUTIFUL!! I hope one day I will have some pretty pictures of my plants to contribute one day as well!!!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Take some pruners and cut a bit off a cane, and have a look. Is it brown inside, or white? If you look very carefully, can you see a green margin, barely visible, just inside the surface?

If the cane (stem) is still alive, it will be white or ivory inside, and there will be a thin green margin. If the cane is dead, it will be brown, dark brown, or black.

Rather than just cutting all the canes off, cut them back a few inches at a time, looking for a white or ivory inside, and that thin green margin. If you find some, you've got a cane that is still alive. If they are all brown back to the knobby thing (bud union) then the rose has died, so you can dig it up and throw it out.

• buford
    9 years ago

Do you know if it's grafted or own root? If it's grafted, it doesn't matter if the roots are alive, the scion (the flower part of the rose) may be dead. I would do what hoovb suggests. I had to cut many of my roses down to the graft but as soon as it warmed up, they started putting out new canes.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Do as suggested above, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Looks like a goner to me--but on the chance it just needs a little warmer weather to get going, you might wait another week or two.

Kate

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and explaining!!
    Buford...what is the difference between grafted and rooted and how can you tell which is which?? Is there an easy was to tell at the store before I buy them what is what?? And is grafted or rooted easier to grow?? I just started out last fall with flowers and have went crazy with roses this year. So happy thoughts!! This rose is right by my steps up to my front porch and it faces south east ish, does that matter?? There are no trees in my yard, and the girl next door does have a large mature tree so I'm trying to figure out if it got enough sun there?? My other rose I planted last year is about 4 feet away on the other side and is looking green and healthy. Also I did spray them both last year with sevin spray because I think some sort of beetle started eating them and when I took some leaves to the store they said the holes in the leaves looked like japenese beetle maybe?? I'm just trying to figure out what I could of done wrong and that way I don't loose another if I plant it in the same exact spot.
    Thanks for baring with me and all the info. I washed the cutters last night and in a few minutes I will go out and slowly cut a cane or two just to see if it looks like what hoovb said. I'm thinking it might be a goner as well because my other one has pretty leaves and green and red while this is just some brown sticks :(

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I agree, do what hoov suggests. And it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit either. In zone 5 I'm betting it's still been pretty cold there and the soil hasn't warmed up enough yet to kick start the rose into growing.

It isn't a problem to prune in stages. Take off the really obviously dead stuff at the top. Wait a couple weeks and trim some more. Then wait a couple more weeks and see if the bud eyes are beginning to swell. Once you see those you can tell just how far down you'll need to prune.

If you have to cut those canes off completely that still doesn't mean the roses is dead. I have several out there that are pretty much just stumps but I can see there is new growth starting to come from the graft area at the base. I think this is a year where a lot of my roses will get to completely "rejuvenate", lol!