Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transitioning climbing rose from trellis to arbor?

Posted by cornellcottage 8b (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 18:07

Hi all,

Upon moving into this house, we inherited a large and vigorous climbing rose that my grandfather anchored to the house over a decade ago -- possibly Cecile Brunner? This spring, the rose seems to have gotten too heavy for the stucco and has popped off the wall. I am reluctant to drill back into the stucco to re-anchor it, as I consider that a losing battle.

Here is a picture of the rose in its current sad state: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/535133_604165485407_4600499_32267923_1398459024_n.jpg

My question is: could we put in an arbor and drape the existing growth over it? Would the rose adapt to such a repositioning? I've looked into building a trellis that isn't anchored to the wall, but I think I'd prefer the look of an arbor. Has anyone tried this or faced a similar challenge?

Please forgive the looks of the rest of the garden -- we've had only a few months in the house, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with "Lollipop Tree Lane" back here. The rose is the first step!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transitioning climbing rose from trellis to arbor?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 18:46

I don't think it would have any problems adapting. You may have to prune it back some and then train the new growth as it comes out. But I think it would be very happy with a new support system. I would just caution you that any arbor you get should be a very good quality STRONG one because you're not going to want to have to replace it anytime soon, lol!

Lovely rose by the way! It's hard to tell from that one picture but it does look like it could be Cecil Brunner.

I've posted a link to your picture below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Rose picture

o

You will have to drill into the wall to support what will have to be a fairly narrow structure....but there are many appropriate fastenings to anchor such a structure in place - from simple joist hangers to a variety of masonry screws. A good drill and the job will be done. Seil is quite right - don't skimp on the quality and strength of a support structure - roses are heavy and wind or rain increase the weight and any instability. I like the path.

o

I love the path and think your rose would be very happy on
really nice arbor! Maybe you could make it wide since the path is so narrow giving the rose plenty of room to grow and still give you plenty of bloom..

o

A length of cattle panel would do very nicely in that narrow space because you can bend it to be tall and narrow. I have transitioned at least one rose (Chevy Chase) from a straight trellis to a cattle panel with no problem at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here