Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pearly Gates - Update

Posted by RabbitRabbit 9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 18:08

Hi everyone!

When I first bought climbing Pearly Gates as an impulse buy, I couldn't find much information on this rose. It's now been about 2.5 years and I thought I'd report back on it.

The first couple of springs nothing really happened. I think it's because I had to cut part of the root ball in order to fit it in past a concrete post near my front gate (I'm hoping it will scramble over the top of the arbor). It also didn't bloom much, but this year it's looking much more vigorous. The flowers have little scent, but they are very pretty and long lasting. I don't spray at all, and so far the plant has been fairly clean except for a little black spot. The blooms have a really gorgeous colour - a warm light pink which seems to glow in the right light. Perhaps that's why it's called "Pearly Gates"!

In any case, after 2 years of waiting it's starting to look good. Initially I was kicking myself for not going for a more vigorous climber but I think it's looking like a keeper! :)

This post was edited by RabbitRabbit on Sat, May 17, 14 at 18:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pearly Gates - Update

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 14 at 19:58

Nearly all climbers require patience. If you want them to be 10 feet tall they need time to build a root ball that can feed canes that long. I'm glad you were patient with it because look how it paid off! It's gorgeous!

o

Lovely!

o

Just beautiful ! I have one in a pot waiting it's forever home and am not sure if I should get one more and do an arbor ? Or just one on a trellis... But the blooms sure are gorgeous !!

o

Very pretty rose. I love the color!

o

Thanks so much, everyone! It is a lovely rose and it's great to see it finally growing (and blooming)!

Lilyfinch, you might need 2 if you want to do an arbor. Mine doesn't seem especially vigorous (though the other climber I have is Madame Alfred Carriere, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. :)

o

Today I prune shoveled my Pearly Gates that was damaged by the harsh winter. (The damage this year exceeded that of previous winters).
I just want to mention that In my conditions, (NY) PG was quite fragrant with great blooms. In 2 years it was grew to about 10 feet tall (most climbers here don't perform so well).
However, it suffered from black spot, in spite spraying it every year.

This post was edited by mikeber on Thu, May 22, 14 at 2:15

o

Gorgeous blooms! Patience is the hardest part for me. :)

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 14 at 11:35

A Beauty! Another fan of Pearly Gates, and America from which it sported. Both are strongly & deliciously scented, abundant with bloom nearly continuously, hardy & healthy grown organically in this humid & wet central VA garden. Find their colors charming together or alone, mirror images of each other. Both glimmer with an inner light. Give it a bit more time & consider training those laterals horizontally along the fence slats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearly Gates

o

So great to hear more stories about this lovely rose from everyone! I think Pearly Gates will make a good cutting flower too as the stems are fairly long. Strangely, mine doesn't have much scent, but it's been very hot and dry here in CA, so maybe that affects it. I would love to train it laterally along the fence, but what the picture doesn't show is that there are roses on both sides. I guess I got greedy trying to fill up all available space. Hopefully it will still bloom if it's trained vertically!

Mikeber - sorry to hear yours got shovel pruned. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here