Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for 'Flower Girl' Tree Rose

We had a huge disappointment after coming back from a 10 day vacation, to find one of our two gorgeous 'Flower Girl' tree roses snapped in half, most likely due to the Santa Ana winds we had last week. We were just sick. I am having huge difficulties finding this gorgeous Weeks cultivar anywhere in my local garden centers in San Diego county, and even online. Hoping someone might be able to help me locate a replacement, either in San Diego county or even Orange county, or from an online source (hard, because we're much after bare root season). Just sick at heart to see this lovely tree rose gone!

Patty S.

Comments (10)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Is the other one staked? Standards really need to be staked just about forever. A metal pipe is a good idea. Wood deteriorates eventually.

The Weeks wholesale catalog for 2013 does not list 'Flower Girl' as a standard. You mean 'Flower Girl', not 'Weeping China Doll', right? Weeks sold it in the US, Fryer (UK) was the hybridizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: weeks catalog for 2013

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, hoovb, they both were staked, actually. The one that snapped broke free with the winds. We were out of town and I would have made sure they were better staked had I known we were going to have some Santa Ana winds in May of all things :-( I am going to re-stake the surviving one, and a metal stake is a great idea. And yes, definitely 'Flower Girl'. I did take a look at the Weeks 2013 catalog and was dismayed not to see it. I have sent Weeks an email to see if they will be propagating it for 2014. Andersen Nursery in Poway will order it for me, if so. I can't tell you how upset we were when we pulled into our driveway.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Not on the Otto's list either. Would Armstrong have it? If I go in to the local nursery I can see if they have it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy, neither the Encinitas or Carlsbad Armstrong Nurseries had one. I had originally bought them from Armstrong in Oceanside, but that has since closed. They definitely used to carry this particular cultivar as a standard tree rose. If you end up going, let me know if your local Armstrong has one. That would be fantastic.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Patty
    I don't have an Armstrong, an independent, but will check cause weeks is their supplier.

I wonder if Armstrong can see if any of their SoCal stores might carry it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I had the Encinitas Armstrong check their computer for any store that might have 'Flower Girl', and they could not find one for me. I just walked by the tree today, coming back and forth from my morning walk. Just heartsick. It was in full bloom, 'Flower Girl' is spectacular, as it is a hugely prolific and weeping bloomer, it is breathtaking in full bloom.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It's a UK cultivar and likely Weeks took the rights for a short time, then went on to other cultivars. You might have to wait until the patent is up, then propagate yourself.

Sorry for your loss of a beauty. :(

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly, this may be the case. I've never grafted for a standard tree rose, so I will have to do some research on how to do that. Bummer.

Patty S.

• minflick
    10 years ago

My cousin just posted 2 pictures on FB of her beautiful red tree rose that was right outside her front door. We don't get Santa Ana winds up in northern California, but we got hit with very strong winds that knocked out power in the San Francisco area, and snapped the 'trunk' of her tree rose and its stake. She cut the blooms off and stuck them in a vase to at least get some pleasure out of her sorrow. While her husband was out getting a replacement, and in line to pay for it, the winds picked up again and knocked over two palm trees on him and his new rose. Think he had to go get yet another one, which is living in the garage until our winds are gone! What a mess!!

I had the same winds, but because I'm nestled in the redwoods, I had no damage, just more branches on the roof and driveway.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, so far, no luck. Not even with Otto & Sons. The best I can find is a 60" "Weeping China Doll", which is - hold your breath - $250!!! So, we've had one very expensive rose accident, sigh. Will keep looking. Have not heard back from Weeks Roses, which is rather disappointing.

Patty S.