Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big will Ebb Tide get in SoCal?

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 18:26

After reading peoples posts about the wonderful scent, I had to pick up one of the last two at the local nursery.

They were both about 2x2 in 5g pots (from Weeks) (just under on the height) and looking very vigorous! No open flowers on these two or I am sure they would be gone.

I am trying to decide what to do to give her a tad bit of shade from the worst of the afternoon sun for now while I wait for the background plant to grow or just put her in a different spot that already has afternoon sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big will Ebb Tide get in SoCal?

I prune mine pretty heavily after a flush, to keep her low. Maybe not a good idea, just, due to some rather arm sized mulch, she got a little dry and lanky looking, tossed some leaves I guess, so, major hair cut!

(and I ordered fine bark mulch, four cubic yards, and pieces were the size of my arm...fine, my arse!!)

o

• Posted by kitty SoCal 9A (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 22:55

I have two bushes of Ebb Tide, both four years old. One is on Dr Huey rootstock, the other one is grafted onto Fortuniana. Both are very small at about 2x2". Even in my intense heat here, the blooms are dark purple most of the time and intensely fragrant in large clusters.

o

we are coastal CA, Santa Barbara, so not as hot as inland. But she is already 2x2ish, guessing Dr Huey too.

Trying to figure out how much more she will take off. The rose union does look fairly old maybe this is more than a couple years old?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 12 at 18:38

Mine are about 4 1/2' tall, 2' wide. A narrow grower in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here