Roses from J&P failed to grow

Posted by shelby_nj NJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 18:29

Last year I bought 4 roses from Jackson & Perkins:
Rose scent from above
Rose Shazam
Rose red sky delight
Rose Laura Bush

All of them failed to grow back this year. I did not even get a replacement. Is there any rose sale going on that you all may know of?
I need some orange and yellow roses.
Also if you have multiple garden beds how do you water them? I normally use a hose and walk around. I takes me one hour. I do have underground sprinklers. But they are good only for the lawn. I would like to get your ideas. Any new device out there that you connect to the main water valve?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses from J&P failed to grow

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 18:55

Sorry to hear about your losses. I just got an email today from Heirloom Roses. They have a sale going on for their English Legend roses. But a lot of places have sales on right now because it's getting late in the season and they want to move them out.

As for the watering, I use soaker hoses but many people use drip irrigation with good results. There are many different systems. There may be one that will hook into your existing sprinkler system too.

o

I'm just beginning, but when I was looking for an Ebb Tide Rose, I ran into Jung Nurseries... I don't know anything about them and can't tell you much about their stock but they have a sale going on and a bunch of the roses are $10... Plus they're still shipping.

Keep in mind I haven't received my order yet, and I've heard good and bad about them, but the ones I ordered are 2 year plants, which beats the plugs some places are selling. Good luck and let me know how it goes or you find any other really good sales going on (and they're still shipping). :)

o

Thank you Seil and Mary.Let me look them up in the internet.

o

Do not buy roses from Jung. See my post today on buying roses.

o

Yeah, I'm with catsrose. Do not bother with roses from Jung at any price. They wouldn't be worth it if they were FREE.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 21:18

Edmunds, who I believe is owned by Jung Seed is having a good sale. I've never bought from Jung, so I don't have an opinion, but Edmunds Roses have always done well for me...

o

You may want to look elsewhere than Edmonds, they have quality control and shipping problems. One of the roses I received from them this spring was not worth shipping, the rose is Dick Clark, with a double crack to the base of the largest stem, black and nasty looking. Plus the order from Edmonds came with many of the roots out of the moisture wrap. Very disappointing. I wrote Edmonds within a day of the arrival and was told they are my roses, and send us a picture. Save your self the trouble.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 22:47

I was at my rose society meeting tonight and several people there were talking about the fact that the roses they got from J&P last year failed. So you're not alone. I think they were just selling off what ever junk they had left over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here