Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

yves piaget?? can't decide.

ilovemyroses
12 years ago

I see so many rave reviews about this rose, then read some dicey reviews. It is full price and not that great looking at my nursery (several pots, none very many canes, from one to four at best coming out of graft union, not much foliage, etc, ((so many roses there look better)) )...but, I am still tempted by reviews. I am in the DFW area...can plant it anywhere, pretty much, but usual issues with mild pm.

Just don't want to splurge when I have so many, but, IS this rose as great as y'all say?? (that sounds like a dumb question!) :)

Comments (17)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

My bush is nothing to write home about but when it's blooming you don't really notice because the blooms are so large and beautiful. The gophers also went to work on the roots so that didn't help at all. Mine is also not a great rebloomer and the blooms open very slowly since they're so large. As an alternate I would choose Belinda's Dream (I have two), a nice bushy plant with huge, fragrant pink blooms. It blooms a lot, is disease-resistant and takes the heat well. In my garden it's been a much more carefree rose than Yves Piaget.

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ingrid, good advise. I know, so hard to pass a name I hear such good things about, but, I really don't know how to manage a high maintenance rose, so, I think I'll pass...for now! But those blooms sure are tempting. Belinda's Dream is a great rose, I have two, also, and give that rose as a gift to quasi-interested (in roses) fans! Hoping to tap in another into this passion! And, around Texas, they are so easy to find, as EK has touted this rose so highly! $6 at Lowe's this weekend, as a matter of fact!! Own root, to boot! Thanks for the input!

• 5rosedogs
    12 years ago

I love Yves. I had 2 huge bushes at my previous house and bought 3 this season for this one. The blooms are amazing. It was even the rose we used in my wedding. It bloomed all season for me.

• jerome
    12 years ago

I live in a very different area from you, but Yves is a great plant in the garden here. A gardening friend I respect told me before I got it, "He needs lots of food and water"...I have given him both and wow....big bush, blooms a lot, many basal breaks. With the extra food (mild liquid feeds every two weeks or so) and generous water, it is bushy and foliage a plenty. I would not want to have many roses so demanding, but for Yves and about 2 other varieties, I'm willing to coddle them to have the flowers.

• Kippy
    12 years ago

From the roses class this January, the speaker noted that "All the ladies in Montecito have to have a Yves Piaget" Now I did not see his eyes rolling.....but pretty sure they have.

So of course, if the Montecito ladies have to have one...I needed one too. LOL I have made sure there is a an extra dripper on a couple of the roses and hope that Yves likes the location. There is one big bud that I am waiting to open.

• blendguy
    12 years ago

I'm one of the ravers, and I'll rave about him one more time. In California Yves was one of my very best roses, lots of huge, intensly fragranced blooms. I wanted to try him here in England, but I couldn't find anywhere that sold him and had to order from France. I now have three bareroots. It's the first rose I've ever grown three of, and, if it grows as well here as it did in California, I'll be tempted to order some more, even in my small garden.

That said... I would certainly wait and get a good plant! It would be heartbreaking to have a weakling version of this rose. Perhaps add it to your wishlist for next year and get it from a place you trust.

cheers,
    robert

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good advise all!! I guess I am tempted, but, assuming all are grafted, I will add it to a wishlist for a better looking plant (for full price) or maybe wait for a sale...got plenty in the yard to keep me busy...but, with such sentiment expressed for this rose, it is going to be hard to let it go. seems for a grafted plant (and I don't know much on this) it outta look better, anyone have own root?

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so maybe the one i saw with four canes was a BEAUTY!! thanks, i am fine with grafts. may give it another look!

• 5rosedogs
    12 years ago

Northaven Gardens has this rose as one of its' varieties if you are near Dallas

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

My mother's is huge, well-formed, and flowers well and endlessly. I'll get some photos.
    Renee

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok fellow enablers...guess who came home with me! yes, YVES PIAGET (is it the name that sounds so good or the rose)...it is a Star Roses grafted plant, there were four at the nursery (thank you 5rosedogs) from one cane to three on the one I picked up. I dunno.

QUESTION.

How does one best encourage new sprouts from the union...a happy rose, no doubt, but, any advice?

Does this rose need a little gentler sun, or the full blaze of all day sun? (I know all roses need full day, but some just ain't meant to take our Texas sun all day).

Any advice on planting? I usually plant unions at the level they came from the pot, but read of some of y'all planting lower to encourage more/better rooting...no zone issues here at 8.

We shall see, and I WILL report in! (also noticed Rose de Reicht kinda smiling at me...) hmmm...

• Kippy
    12 years ago

Yves bud opened, guessing yesterday while I was busy working. Just ran up today day and WOW, such a little plant and such a BIG flower. Wonderful scent and love the color.

If it stays small, I might have to get a couple of others

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kippy, I'd love to see a pic of the whole bush if you can! you sure know the right words to say!!!

• Kippy
    12 years ago

I will take some photos....Yesterday, on the continued quest to seek and destroy a mutant gopher we made a mess of yet another bed. I decided to not fix it all back nice until the traps had a few days (and I wish a few occupants)

• Kippy
    12 years ago

Does anyone have both Yvez Piaget and Grand Dame?

(noticed HD had Grand Dame and she is supposed to be a bigger plant)

• Beth Willett
    12 years ago

Yves blooms are gorgeous, but they ball if you have much moisture there! It makes up for those moist days in the summer for me though and smells wonderful! I wish I could post a pic.....but they are not open yet! (or stuck shut...not sure yet :( )