Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About A Rose, Not Mine

Posted by sivyaleah Z7A NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 18:47

Hi everyone.

I have a friend, that has been growing a "Green Ice" miniature rose for like, forever. Literally. Since the 1970's.

He mentioned to me today that it has, over time, reverted to a pink color. I looked up the rose on Help Me Find, interested in it's parentage and was not so surprised to find the lineage is pink on both sides.

However, I'm curious why the bush would, after all this time, stop producing the greenish white blooms it's known for. On the other side of his house, he has another bush of the same species which is still the correct color.

I know he grow them from either cuttings or seed, and even won an award for it when he was a young boy out in California. It's been fairly neglected as of late (it's at his mom's home, and he is disabled and it hasn't been easy for him to get there to attend to the roses).

I'd love to find out for him why this has happened. Any ideas? I just don't know enough about roses to even guess on this one and I'm sure he'd be really happy to find out.

Thanks!

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About A Rose, Not Mine

Unusual weather conditions???? I think, maybe.

This has been a pretty creepy spring, everywhere in the SW. So I'd wait to see what it does, as the year marches forward.

The other plant hi has is in a different location, and you know: location, location location.

Jeri

o
RE: Question About A Rose, Not Mine

Well it's been doing it for years apparently. It's like it "forgot" it's a green colored rose.

Plus why would the weather make a green rose turn pink?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here