Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Observations on winter dieback

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:52

I've been working on rose pruning the last week or so and have had a few 'Huh!?' moments.

Have a Hot Cocoa planted very near a Pretty Jessica. HC is three years old and PJ was a band planted last year about 18" H. Same bed - same soil - same environment. PJ was hardy to tips and it takes wind from the west which was rough this winter. I had to take HC back two thirds.

Queen of Sweden and Princess Alexandra are right next to each other. Barely had to prune anything on QOS. PA was better than HC, but a bit more than QOS.

Also, I think SDLM is hardier than given credit for. I know that there are people on the forum who have had issues and talk about how she can't handle the cold or has too much dieback. I disagree. She's currently larger than HC and maybe required pruning by one third. I think I lost the biggest chunk of her to my husband's snowblowing skills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Observations on winter dieback

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 20:32

It's always interesting to see which varieties do what. They're all so different. It might be a good idea to keep a log of how they did this year and compare to the next couple of years to see if there are trends or changes.

o

I also had to prune Julia Child down to the ground. Weird.

o

Hi Zaphod42: Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear that Austins fare better than Hot Cocoa.

Austins are quite deep-rooted and I don't have to water them. It's Pink Peace Hybrid Tea which I have to water here.

All my roses survive except for mini rose Norwich Sweetheart ... its roots are too tiny, and I didn't winter-protect it. I will NEVER buy mini-roses for my zone 5a ... roots are too small in my rock-hard clay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here