Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

I need help with a trespassing neighbor

aggierose
9 years ago

Hello. I don't know where the right place is to post this, but I thought I would start here. Long story short, I have a very crazy male neighbor who continuously climbs our fence and goes into our yard. He also keeps a ladder leaning against his fence and climbs it to look in our yard daily. We have called the police on him twice. He has also been found in our neighbors yard. In order to arrest him, he has to be caught in our yard so I'm now looking into getting a camera to monitor the spot where he keeps his ladder. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good outdoor security camera that isn't very expensive? I can't spend much on one but I need one that I can always monitor and one that will work well.

Comments (62)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Simple inexpensive home security cameras are a big deal in tech development these days, because there's plenty of money to be made. The iPhone of the systems (in terms of ease of use and popularity) has not yet been introduced, but if you have just one location you want to monitor, the solution is a lot more simple and you could find something relatively affordable. I was looking into them myself as a pond monitor. Look at Dropcam and Canary and see if they will meet your needs at all.

Maybe also plant a groundcover that will reduce soil run off? erosion may become a problem for YOUR property, regardless of your neighbor. The texas gardening forum may be able to suggest something that will help.

OF COURSE the man has no business on your property, but perhaps if he knew you made a small effort to reduce mud in his pool, that might reduce his mental problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cnet on diy home security

• bobbyb123
    9 years ago

If your looking for a nasty thorny rose they don't come much meaner than " Harrison's yellow ". if he wants to get into your yard that bad let him work for it. If that doesn't work buy yourself a paintball gun and every time the comes on your property blast him good

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have lower neighbor issues too.

I would:

Hire a licensed/insured contactor to come and place a roll of the run off stopping hay things. They look like a giant hay hose on your side of the easement and add a couple of trees to block his view on your side of the hay and easement

And I would add more thorns down there

A game camera can be under $100 and look for scarecrow for the sprinkler

• aggierose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate all the suggestions. It's hard to explain, but the way our yard is, the dirt that would be washing away into his yard isn't hurting our yard at all. It's also an area where our sprinklers don't reach so it I plant anything at all it would require that I either spend the money to add another zone to our sprinklers, or, stand out there all summer in our 100+ degree Texas weather with a water hose. Not to mention the cost of water where I live is through the roof ($180-$200/month with only watering once/week per watering restrictions and no pool). I also refuse to plant anything that will be an eye sore to me. The city, the HOA, and the police have been out several times and have all said we have done nothing wrong and that it's up to him to figure out how to divert the water run off. The mud getting in his pool has only happened twice in 2 years. We are in the middle of a severe drought here in Tx so it's not like we get downpours on a regular basis. My goal now is to catch him on camera doing the things he does to get him thrown in jail. He has been warned with stalking charges from the police, which is a third degree felony. If I can get him on camera, he will be charged.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you're caught between such a rock and a hardplace, Aggierose. This is the type of thing meant by motion activated sprinkler. It requires you turn on a hose to the sprinkler and leave it on all the time you want coverage. The trick is to leave it on just a trickle, so if/when the hose bursts, and you KNOW eventually one is going to, you don't have a flood and waste a ton of water. All that's needed is enough pressure so when something interrupts the motion sensor, it sends out a burst of high pressure, cold water through the Rainbird sprinkler. The main down side is, no matter how you have the motion sensor set up, ANYTHING interrupting it will trigger the water blast. It's great for deer and other vermin repelling, but it can't tell the difference between them, the crazy guy next door or YOU, so you have to remember it's there. That was the main complaint from customers when we sold it at work years ago. A sudden, strong blast of cold water out of the blue scares the beans out of you when you don't expect it. Good luck! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow sprinkler

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Can you dig a ditch to stop the water from going into his pool? Plant some big thorny cactus near the fence? I'm sorry you have such a crazy neighbor. God Bless you and help you!

• jameya
    9 years ago

We went out to rual king and bought 2 cameras for 40 dollars a piece and set them into record through a vcr. The problem with that is, the tape only records for 4 hours at a time and it gets annoying. So we bought a dvr recorder off amazon to hook into them. Now it records 24/7. It lowered the homeowners too. But I seen a set with 3 cameras, and the dvr for 175. Check there.
    Also if your cable company is comcast, they now offer a service for 40 a month (not sure how much install is, but I seen equipment comes with package for free) and you can check your cameras from any computer and cell phone from anywhere and it records 24/7 as well.
    I was having issue with people stealing 300 dollar worth or solar lights in less then a week after I put them out. And when I had the vcr I was mad to find out that my lights got hit again the very first week and it just so happen it had to of happen within an hour of the vcr tape clicking off and me waking up, and with them cemented into the ground. Grrrr.
    If it was me, I would invest in cameras because not only does it keep you safe from this crazy guy, but also anyone else whom could come by, or if another crazy moves in. Especially if your alone with little ones often. Its just great piece of mind ~ just in case~ its awful to live in a world like that where its almost needed.
    I guess your other option would be to send a certified letter to this guy and just try to ask him what he thinks should be done about this issue. And explain that it does not happen on purpose, and if everyone has to live there for a while, try to make nice and see what he says he would like to see happen. I know you said the run off doesn't effect your yard, but it could effect others, and even if its not him living there someone else that moves in might as well that has the issues, and I know you can't please everyone, but a compromise might be a good thing if it keeps the peace. Then again, you said its happened a couple times in a couple years, so it don't seem like its a constant issue and hey, things do happen, its called mother nature. And he just might be one of those people that are never happy no matter what you do and enjoys and thrives off nit picking and making others crazy.
    I feel for you, and it will prolly take some thought on what you want to do, and the best way to just make him leave you alone.
    Goodluck :)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have neighbor issues like I mentioned

But for me and probably because I have to mediate things like this, I like to address the issue more down the middle.

If he has only had mud in his pool a couple of times then one would think the would only climb the fence then but sounds like he does more often. It would be worth it to me to not see him and hide him behind trees. I would use a landscape contractor just for the pool liability issue. Same with the hay roll. It might not be pretty but it beats the neighbor.

If he has been such a thorn in everyone's side. You might be able to get the home owners association to install the trees you buy for you with the hay roll As far as watering goes, pick a drought tolerant native, 100 feet of hose is $20 at Costco. 100 feet of drip line and fittings will run any other $20. Hook it up to your hoses bib on dribble while you make and eat dinner and your watering is done. Once established they should rarely need more water

You would be amazed at how just posting "surveillance cameras in use" signs will solve issues even if you don't have them I would start by buying a few and posting so he knows he could get caught on tape

The other option is to move. Life is too short for dealing with idiots. And idiots enjoy what they are doing and are unlikely to change

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

You need to file a restraining order with the police dept.
    I have a neighbor exactly the same, only he just looked over the fence all the time by standing on a large pot. He complained about water from our yard going into his yard and hurting his cactus, geese it was monsoon time.
    He doesn't do it any more.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I don't know how involved your HOA is in what you can and can't do in your yard, but the suggestion of taking it up both with the HOA and the police (restraining order) are great. There must be some responsibility the HOA possesses as far as my mud flowing from rains. IF there is an erosion issue, that should be the builder's responsibility. If it's too long since construction, or if the HOA has already obtained a settlement from the builder for any issues, then it should be solely the responsibility of the HOA. My sister had water issues with her condo and the HOA was responsible for restoring the exterior walls damaged by improper grading and restoring her master shower which had crumbled from exterior water infiltrating the structure. As long as you have not altered the drainage, then it should be up to the HOA to fix the problem. If the crazy neighbor has changed things, creating the problem, then the problem is his.

You KNOW the idiot is probably looking for some way to injure himself on YOUR property so he can collect damages. Sounds outrageous, but that's often the way it works all over the country. Add the "wild west" gun laws so prevalent in southern areas and you definitely have a potentially dangerous situation on your hands! I would certainly investigate all avenues with the HOA and their culpability in the claimed erosion issue and the legal restraining order. If nothing else, you'll be building your defense, legally demonstrating your case for feeling threatened for your life should you have to "dispatch" him. I wish you all the luck in the world! I'm afraid you might need it! Kim

• michelle_co
    9 years ago

If you need something quick and simple, a wildlife trail camera would work if you have a good place to put one. I use those for wildlife watching all the time, and used mine for a time when we had a crazy renter next door.

I do think you should have a proper system in place because he sounds like he has serious issues, but a trail-cam could be installed by you the day you buy it. I have the Bushnell 8 MP trail cams, about $124 at Amazon.

You could also buy a dummy camera or two to hang until your proper system is in place. They are something like $6 at Amazon and have a LED light to make them look serious. Point a couple of those at the fence. They are conspicuous and look real.

And get your real system installed in the meantime.

I also agree about approaching the HOA to deal with the water run off issue. That sounds like the best long term, real solution. Plus if you do ever end up in court, you will be able to show that you were very proactive in trying to solve the problem... It will help you when you have to talk to the police, too. And just maybe, it would get him off of your back for good.

Please be safe, I hate this kind of stuff... It's too scary.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Here is place that may have what you are looking for: http://www.supercircuits.com/
    No matter what you do make sure you have a Plan B. By that I mean, are you willing to take him to court. What happens if he takes you to court. etc etc
    In the mean time I would print up a nice sized sign that read 'Smile You Are On Candid Camera' and place it where he can't miss reading it. Let him wonder where the camera is.

If he still doesn't stop then a board with a ton of nails in it sticking straight up, placed where he enters your property, and covered with mulch/leaves should get his attention.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Exposing the camera for your neighbor to see may cause more problems...

What I did was put up a small hidden camera. (No sound) Check out laws in your area...

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Absolutely, check the laws about secretly filming him, though IN your yard, ON your property and not in his, should be safe. Also, any booby trap you set will bite you in the butt. Often, the courts rule against the one setting the trap because emergency personnel or perhaps children might fall prey to them. Better to take the legal routes and possibly set up the cameras. Those shouldn't be able to be held against you legally. Kim

• kidhorn
    9 years ago

it doesn't seem like the guy is all that dangerous. All he's done is look around your yard. I wouldn't set a trap. It might trigger an angry reaction and you can get yourself in trouble.

Putting a camera up to prove he's been in your yard isn't a bad idea, but I don't see how you can keep him from looking over the fence. I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to look in someone's yard. The only thing to prevent him from looking over the fence is to plant a row of tall vegetation within the fence border. Maybe something like an arborvitae.

Good Luck

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Small yappy dog. The kind that is skittish to strangers but family and barks nonstop at new things and is fearless. Chihuahua.

• User
    9 years ago

Aggie,
    Personally, I would move.
    Life is too short, and this guy is dangerous.
    He obviously has some kind of mental problem, you are not the only neighbor he is bothering.
    His excuse to violate your privacy by climbing into your yard is dirt in his pool.
    What did he tell the other neighbors?
    You have 2 options.
    Either go buy yourself a gun and become very familiar with it, and also a small yappy dog, which will alert you 24/7, or move.
    If it were me, and I was alone alot, and I had children to protect, I would move.
    Cameras, roses, even an order of protection won't protect you unless you learn to shoot a gun, and WILL USE IT.
    Good luck to you.
    I'd be out looking for homes already. LOL!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Academy has game cameras that work well. At most feed stores, you can buy solar electric fence equipment - put a hot wire on top of the fence - guarantee you he will not climb over it. A rotweiller isn't a bad idea either.......see how he likes a chunk bitten out of his leg. Catch him on camera - take him to court, get restraining order - take action via the law. If all else fails, tell the police he is spying on your girls and you think he is a sexual predator.....that will get him locked up for sure. Would be great to catch him on the camera getting into the hot wire. Good luck, sounds like a real nut case who is doing this for his own perverse amusement.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

A Jack Russel or what I have here, a retired brood breeder Toy Fox Terror, would be perfect! Very attentive, very loving, extremely territorial, they even chase and bark at birds and lizards. Let him show himself at the fence and these (two Toy Fox Terrors and one Chihuahua) will sound as if they are about to eat him alive! If they're out front and the neighbors trip their electric gates, you'd think it was the end of the world, or the fire was racing through the jungle in a Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie! Lula, the youngest, has earned her nickname, "Godzilla", for how she tears through the garden on her way to be SURE no one is entering HER domain. She puts up a GREAT bluff! Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

In the last heat wave I did not worry about leaving windows open. A chihuahua Maltese mutt knows when lady bugs walk across the street.

You will never miss a knock at the door or a gate opening for sure. And not so much of a concern about eating the neighbors instead of warning about them

• petra.gombos
    9 years ago

Dachshunds work too.

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

Why not try to do the right thing and do something to help stop the runoff? Good grief. Just because he's a jerk doesn't mean you shouldn't respect what he's going through, don't you have a conscience?

Just because he's had problems with other neighbors doesn't absolve you of at least trying to mitigate the intrusion of all that runoff.

It makes absolutely no sense to sit in your house and stew over this, call the police repeatedly, and go out and buy cameras when you can call a contractor to see what you can do to stop the runoff.

I would be livid if I was in this guy's position and saw that my neighbor did NOTHING to alleviate the situation. No, I would not tresspass anyone's property, but I would be finding out what my options were....

"He climbs the fence to wonder our yard to see what we have done. Of course, we have done nothing. Why would we???"

Because you are a human being with a brain, and you don't live in a bubble. You could do something about it, however, you've made the choice not to, so how is that working out for you?

Use your problem solving skills, and do something about it.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, May 23, 14 at 8:40

• aggierose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ilovemytrees, it's not my responsibility to make sure water doesn't run into his pool. The city, the HOA, and the police have all told me it's up to him to fix the problem, not me. Furthermore, had he come to me initially when the problem first happened and spoken to me nicely and had an adult conversation then we would have helped where we could. But when the very first thing he did was to come into our yard repeatedly and then proceed to knock on my door screaming, yelling, cussing and threatening me,,,,well, I have no desire to help him out what so ever. We are excellent neighbors and if any of our other neighbors had this issue, we would be doing what we could to help them. However, I do not extend myself to help people who are abusive and don't abide by the laws. He needs to be arrested. I don't even know what we can do to help. We don't do anything to cause the run off. There is only about 12 inches of space by the fence so planting trees is not a possibility. I could plant a few plants but then I have to water with a hose on a regular basis which we may not even be allowed to do as our city is strongly considering going to only twice/month watering. And why would I want to plant plants that I don't even want knowing it's going to require water when we are in such a severe drought right now? We probably won't be able to water enough to keep our lawns alive, much less newly planted plants. I'm glad you aren't my neighbor. You sound like you may be just like him, always expecting others to solve your problems. He built his pool at the bottom of a hill. Why would anyone do that and not consider the possibility of water running downhill into their pool? How is it fair that it is now a problem I must solve? I can stand on my back porch and easily see the water in his pool, even with a 6 foot fence between us. That's how low his pool is! He will need to come up with a solution or continue to get water in his pool during very heavy rains, which has only happened twice in 2 years.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

And whose to say it's your dirt in his pool? He doesn't have dirt in his yard? This guy is a jerk and I agree with the police, this is texas buddy and the people I know would shoot first and ask questions later. Plant a New Dawn, killer thorns. Good luck. I would suggest a game camera too.

• petra.gombos
    9 years ago

Dachshunds work too.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I think it's pretty easy- too easy- to get caught up in the blame game. Your neighbor thinks he is a victim, and that his victimhood justifies his trespassing on your property. From what you've described, he doesn't sound dangerous, but more like someone who doesn't have a clue about social interactions of any kind. Of course, living near someone who's not being able to recognize boundaries is scary, but I didn't hear you describe him as violent.

I kinda like the suggestion of writing him a letter, but I would take a different tack.

1) Agree with him that he's a victim, by sympathising with his plight: "It is really unfortunate that the contractor who installed your pool didn't alert you to the inevitable problems resulting from run-off due to poor siting"... something along those lines. So, yes, he is a victim, but someone else is to blame- not him, and certainly not you!

2) Offer friendly advice regarding solutions. You are a gardener- he may have no idea that he can fix the problem himself by planting appropriate erosion-controlling plants on HIS SIDE of the property line. If erosion control isn't your area of expertise, you could ask for zone-appropriate advice at one of these forums- the native plant forum might be a good source? But the point is that you can offer him free advice about how to fix the problem on his own. Give him a list of things he can plant (and that you wouldn't mind seeing from your side of the fence!) that can keep dirt from washing into his pool.

Keep the tone of the letter civil, if not friendly, and don't undermine your effort with an accusatory or threatening tone. The point is to try to defuse a situation that is bothering both of you without trying to assess where the blame lies.

Once you have a letter drafted, get it vetted by someone from your HOA to get a second opinion about its legal appropriateness, and also so that they know you're making an effort to help your neighbor, even though they agree with you and the police that the situation is not your fault.

I sure hope you are able to find some way to resolve the situation so that he doesn't feel like he needs to keep monitoring- and trespassing on- your property.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

My guess, he'd poison a dog. I'd try the restraining order, maybe buy a BB gun.

Jane

• gravelj
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a crazy neighbor too. He is a handyman who works for the Church that abuts my property. Last year, he removed a section of my fence, came on my property to work on a shed roof that is on their property but abuts mine with a stone wall around it. For over 3 months, he left his ladders up against the shed that could have fallen on me, my little dog, my tenants and my car. I was constantly picking up nails and roof debris. He also disturbed the stonewall and now I have large stones on the ground that I cannot possibly pick up and put in place. I asked him 3 times to put the section of my fence back and to remove the ladders and finally he did. After that, he approached me one night when I was walking my dog around the block and was verbally aggressive. I told him if he did not back away from me, that I would go right across the street to the police station and he backed away. The fact that he did not have permission to take apart my fence or come onto my property is only one issue - if he fell off the ladder I would have been liable. He also made my tenants very uncomfortable since where he was working was about 20 ft. from their back doors. They are both single females and this guy looks like Charles Manson on steroids. I called the police to record the trespassing and fence removal issue, damage, etc. Every time I was out in my yard during the summer, I would turn around and there he would be and he would not leave. I had to go in my house and lock the door. I could not take it anymore so I called the Church and left messages. After over a month of no response, I contacted the pastor via email. I was polite and to the point, explaining about trespassing and property damage to my fence and stone wall. All I wanted them to know was that this individual appears to be unsupervised and did these things on my private property and I would appreciate them assisting in paying for repairs and for him to stop trespassing. I received an email back from a woman who is on the board of the Church. In short, it was threatening. She told me that my fence is on their property and I needed to take it down. The fence has been in the same spot for over 50 years, since I was a kid. (I bought my grandparents house. ) I replaced the old, broken chainlink with a beautiful wood fence about 5 years ago. There was no response whatsoever about the handyman trespassing or any intention to help pay for repairs. She even said that Jesus had long hair and a beard. To compare this guy to Jesus is ridiculous! She also said that if I was to say anything to upset him he may become irritated and no telling what he would do. She said some other things that were again, ridiculous, like this guy wanted to stay friendly with me, but now he just can't. She signed her emails "Yours in Christ". Really? Needless to say, I never responded to her emails. Fast forward to Spring the following year, I have one tenant who works from home. She left one day to go to the store just down the street when she returned about 20 minutes later, she caught this guy coming out of the fence gate in my back yard. He took off like a shot when he saw her. This means, that he had to have been watching my house and waiting for all the cars to be gone. I realized if I reported it officially to the police that they would talk to him and then I would be open to all kinds of retribution, flat tires, property damage, etc. and that there was no way that I could work with these unstable individuals. So, I spent $2,000 to have security cameras installed. I also pad locked my fence gate and added a deadbolt to my basement door. All I have to say is that I am more "Christian" than they could ever be.

• toolbelt68
    8 years ago

How about one of those baby monitoring camera/recorders that people use to check up on baby sitters?
    ............OR..........
    Get a BIG bottle of food coloring and a balloon (your choice there), fill the balloon with the coloring and freeze it. Remove the frozen coloring from the balloon and toss it into his swimming pool. Chose a nice color that will gross people out. Every time he climbs over the fence, his pool gets colored. Remember, empty bottle goes into balloon which goes in the dumpster across town..... nuff said.

Same thing works for paint remover which gets set on top of his car hood..... Might have to use a small wooded box in place of the balloon or cut the container once frozen.

You could also paint '(nasty word/letter) Cops' on his trunk using paint remover. Every block he goes will get him a ticket until he paints the car.... lol
    I know, nasty, but some people don't learn unless it gets expensive for them.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I wonder if there was a resolution with the neighbor. We had drainage issues in our neighborhood. My two neighbors across the street had their basements flooded twice in 10 years. It was determined by the county that the drainage in the sub division wasn't adequate. So they had to dig it all up and redo it. And guess who's yard had most of the pipe under it... Still, I am glad they fixed it.

Your neighbor should call the county, they are responsible for these kinds of issue. Many times the builders build houses in inclines and the resulting runoff issues are a problem. For instance, my neighbors back yard is low and his basement door is right near the storm drain opening, so it gets flooded.

But building a pool with a hill behind it is just insane. It's his problem.

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Ahhh, toolbelt, remind me not to tick you off!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

lol seil...that's what I was thinking!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

One of my friends has an outdoor plant-cactus with yellow flowers, it has thousands of tiny spines. Plant that under the fence........ :-)

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Toolbelt, I had a situation with one of moms friends who I caught steal a child's toy from their yard. You should see the crazy text messages that include a lot of "bless yous etc" for having been so evil as to tell the child's parents what happened and where to find the child's toy. It included treats of calling adult protective services on me and messages in the middle of the night. Other than replying with what the lawyer said to use I never reied but boy does that one need to pay closer attention in church. You should hear what she says to the parent of the child.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

I hear you Kippy, a lot of church going people do evil things. That's another reason I am still a free spirit. Kippy, show the messages to her pastor. Will that do anything?

Electric fence?

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Hey, summersrhythm, is that prickly pear you mentioned? Ouch! I did think it could be alternated with wild artichokes but pity poor councilworkers or emergency people having to jump the fence and land in THAT! :-)

• toolbelt68
    8 years ago

Now if something like agglerose is going through should happen to you don’t any of you go out and do what I wrote. You know as well as I do that you will get caught!!

Reminds me of a situation years ago at work one Friday. The payroll gal came around handing out the checks, leaving checks on peoples desk if they were not present. One of us made the remark, ‘boy all one would have to do is take one of those checks to the bank and cash it’. Would you believe a twit did just that. Went through the drive through and was arrested before he could pull away….

BTW, my roses are just starting to bloom. Since this is a rose forum I figured I best throw that in.

Seil, you’re safe….. lol

toolbelt

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Ozmelodye, I don't know the name of the plant, my friend at work offered, I didn't want any. :-)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    8 years ago

I still say a solar electric fence, with wire on top and on your side of fence, will put an immediate stop to that. Mermaid would be a good barrier, but take too long to grow. And a game camera to record it, then you can take legal action. Not to mention an immediate U Tube sensation! I would make a police report every time he does this whether it is recorded with a camera or not - you have a paper trail if anything goes to court. Money well spent to protect yourself unless you plan on moving soon.

I saw a hilarious sign - one of those huge marquee things in yellow - out in front of a house in a little community near Athens, Tx. that said: My Neighbor Is A Thief. And there is a big sign in front of a house on a major highway near me that says: Break In My House Again and I Will Blow Your Head Off! Not suggesting anything.......just a little humor.

Judith

• sweeyangelkitty912
    8 years ago

Buy crown of thorns bush at Home Depot garden center, the flowers are tiny and a pretty reddish color plus the bush is very thorny, like needles, between $9.98- $14.98. That pervert will think twice before he climbs over that fence. Home Depot has 360mounted white motion sensor light fixture for $29.97 each, model MSX12. Havahart spray away motion activated sprinkler system for $69.97, model 5266.

For now these will deter his perverted ways. Later you could add a hidden surveillance camera to show police the evidence that he ignores any warnings.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Ouch! Solar electric fences and very thorny needle plants.... ouchhhhhh!

• kublakan
    8 years ago

I'm sorry you are having such a horrible experience.

To answer your initial question, try Harbor Freight. They have cheap camera systems that can be hooked up to a computer/laptop for continuous monitoring. You could also kill two birds with one stone by shopping home security systems. Many companies have systems that come with free installation and wifi cameras. This would solve your monitoring problem and also give you an added level of protection.

In regards to the greater issue, I would attempt communication above all else. Regardless of whether you catch him on camera or not, he will continue to be your neighbor. Right now he's angered at the supposed fact that you are running dirt into his pool. After a stint with the police he'll likely become more irate. Defuse the situation. Go and know on his door and tell him you'd like to start over (don't do this alone, of course). Ask him to show you where he thinks the dirt is coming from. Ask him what would be a reasonable solution. Once the dialogue has been established, ask him if he would be interested in hearing some of your concerns. Express that his trespassing has made you feel uncomfortable and that the last thing you want is ill feelings between the two of you. Express that had he approached you differently the first time that the situation could have been resolved a while ago. Keep your comments centered on how his actions made you feel, including his use of abusive language and aggressive tone.

I would do this because your neighbor is the last enemy you want to have. I say this now, mind you, but I know how difficult it is to be the adult in a situation like this. The pay-off, however, is peace of mind that no police officer or security system can afford you.

I apologize if my comments aggravate you and hope you see my suggestions as attempts to help.

• trachbirth
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am sorry about your neighbor. You are not alone. These people wrote their comments and me are in the same boat, which we all have problems with our neighbors.

My neighbor Todd and I had peace and no problem for 16 years until his girlfriend warned me that Todd started to angry and mad about everything. I don't know what point at this problem. He started welding sandblast business outside on his driveway. The sandblast spread out anywhere, went in the air, went over the fence to land my property where egetable garden is. It killed them. Also, I washed sandblast off my tomato...my mouth tasted and burned. I tried to talk to him about situation with welding sandblast but he was very aggressive (mean, angry and yell). I was so scared and walked away.

i called the police and code enforcement. Two officers showed up and saw his active of welding sandblast. They allowed him to use. No violation ticket.

He continued to do welding sandblast. He ignored state codes and has no business permit.

He threw the grapes at my driveway and property. I called the police. They do nothing. No violation tickets for littering.

He posted five notes on my door and my car. He banged my door and stayed for 15 minutes. I called 911. Police showed up and cancelled 911. I proof his five notes. No violation tickets for criminal trespass.

I bought new wood fence to stand next to the chain fence to block his view. But still problem is he walked out on sidewalk in front of my house and yelled or sweared at me several times.

He put his solar lamps on my property without permission. I took them and threw them away., He was angry and called the police. I got violation ticket for theft and trespass. Police don't care. Sad. He bought solar lamps and put them on my property. They still are there. I cannot take them.

I filed out for restraining order but judge turned it down. Not enough proof. I was stuck.

I installed security camera and caught him several times. I called the police. Officer, Lt officer, detective officer and chief showed up at my house. I showed them a few videos. They talked to my neighbor Todd.

They told me that Todd had problems about his girlfriend s health, finance and problems from friends, family and his work so he has emotions and carried to blow out or throw on me. It is his own responsibility, not me. That is what I'm not involved. It looks like he has problems and beat up own big bag to blame to other person. That is me, I'm innocent.

He knows I cannot hear and I cannot read lip. He doesn't care. No respect. He swears at me from his property and sidewalk.

He removed my solar lamps, Halloween stuff and ladder on my property. No violation ticket for trespassing.

I wanted to move out but problem with my finance. I cannot afford to pay a new place to live.

I don't know where I turn to have someone to help. I cannot afford to hire a civil lawyer.

it took two years and still continuing.

I am stuck.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

So sorry. Maybe there is a legal aid low cost or free donated legal services in your area. This sounds like discrimination which is wrong and illegal.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

I feel for anyone who has major trouble with a neighbor, that said.

A person could not ever hope or pay for better advice than given by kublakan above.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think he sounds dangerous, trachbirth, to his girlfriend too. Be careful.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

Low spots are natural places for pools, both natural and man-made. The fouling run-off needs to be corrected.

Deterrence plantings are easily gotten around or broken down unless quite large specimens are used from the start, planted close together to form a solid barrier right from the start.

• HU-4291940
    3 years ago

Yeah I have the same thing happening to me

One night me and my brother just got home and the next thing we saw was my neighbor leaning behind a stump I screamed out his name and we heard running in the woods.

Few nights later the same thing happens again but it sounded like he had something with him, we called the cops and he wasn't found.

One more thing about him, I have this sliding glass window to were you can look out, one night I was staying up and the next thing I knew was that someone jumped on to my back porch. I got up and sprinted to the slinding glass door and the next thing I knew was that I seen a limping old man running

Sorry for the long text...

3 years ago

That is very disturbing, HU. Good neighbors are such a blessing and bad ones can destroy your peace.

• A Jones
    last year

I use Kasa camera's for the same problem.