Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally new to roses...

Posted by luvncannin 7a-panhandle tx (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 18:59

I was wondering if y'all might know what kind of rose this is. The blooms are the size of an eraser.
I had an opportunity to dig up some flowers and 2 of these rose bushes from a very old house before it was bulldozed down. I normally only grow veggies but thought I would try a few ornamentals. The idea of saving old plants got me going.
I know its the wrong time and with the hard pruning they may not even make it. We trimmed a little more than half just to be able to move them.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally new to roses...

Hard pruning is EXACTLY what they needed to survive being transplanted - it will not hurt them. What you need to do now is:

1) Keep them well watered - their roots were damaged during the move, and will take some time to grow back.
2) Pinch off any flower buds - they need to put all of their energy into growing roots.
3) DO NOT feed them, or spray them, or fuss with them in any way other than (1) and (2) above.
4) Do not worry if they just "sit there" for a month or two - as I said, they are growing new roots, which you cannot see.
5) After that time period, you should begin to see a bit of new growth - then is the time to feed them - follow the directions, and feed them less than is recommended.

Then they will either bloom, or just grow until next year. When they do bloom, post a picture on here and someone will probably be able to identify them for you.

Good Luck -

Jackie

o
RE: Totally new to roses...

Thank you for the quick reply. I am going to get them planted today. I am hoping it will work to put them in 40 gallon pots sunk in the ground so I can move them when I move in about 6 months. I am going to write down everything and will come back when the y bloom and the blooms open to post pictures. They are such tiny little buds for such a huge bush. The bushes were at this house unattended for over 20 years so it will be nice to see them survive.
kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here