Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandm_gw

Different Blooms same bush

kandm
15 years ago

I bought a clearance potted rose for $3 at Lowes. The tag described it as "Assorted Roses, Rosas Surtidas, mature ht 6', with every imaginable color and shape".

I planted it, and its doing well. It's about 1 1/2 feet tall, 2 ft wide, small leafed, very bushy and green. I'm wondering about the assorted blooms though. They are all miniatures and very assorted, some are solid red with a few petals that open slowly, other are a mix of pink and white with many many petals that look like small carnations.

How does this happen? Is it some sort of root stock issue? It's pretty interesting to see what will bloom next.

Comments (10)

• gilli2007
    15 years ago

Hello Kandm,

It sounds very unusual. Do you have a pic you could post??

• kandm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately no, I can't get my digital camera to work b/c I'm using win 98. The rose is pretty weird though, my mom says it's probably just a grafting abnormality.

• gilli2007
    15 years ago

If it is a miniature rose there could have been more than one plant in the same pot. Do all the stems come from the main plant stem? Or are there lots of stems coming out of the soil?

• kandm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are all sort of tangled, I will look closely tomorrow. I am assuming it is a mini b/c the blooms are small but this plant has grown a lot in a short period of time.

• pocajun
    15 years ago

There is more than one plant in the same pot. It is a very common occurance with Mini"s. I usually just buy one and seperate them to get two and sometimes three. Because the plants are so close together they look like they are intermingled

Patrick

• len511
    15 years ago

it's probably grafted. I would guess they just budded 3 or 4 different roses on one rootstock. A novelty sort of like those apple trees that have 3 or 4 different varieties of apples.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

It's common for the nursey who supplies these potted minis to plant 2 or more tiny rooted cutting together to get a fuller plant. Normally they are all one type but they could have placed two different varieties together on purpose.
    You said the tags states "Assorted Roses, Rosas Surtidas, mature ht 6', with every imaginable color and shape".
    This could mean the entire lot consisted of assorted varieties or each pot consisted of assorted varieties planted together.
    My interpretation is exactly as it reads, "assorted roses", with every imaginable color and shape in each pot.
    I googled Rosas Surtidas and found it means assorted roses. The translated websites, although attached to mixed color rose bouquets, indicate the words mean there are assorted roses (different varieties) planted together in one pot.
    For us non-spanish speaking folks using Rosas Surtidas on the tag makes one believe it's one variety. Kind of like some of the winter grocery store minis with their "Rosa Cupido" which basically means "small rose."
    I'm sure if you separated the plants you'd find at least two plants with each one a different color.

• kandm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did not separate them, not idea they could have been multiple plants. It's the 6' that really scared me, sounds like a beast. I've always heard 3ft between roses so I would have if I had known. Should I try to separate them now?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Go over to the Miniature Roses forum and find a thread with the subject "How to save a potted gift rose". That will give you great information on separating the plants.

Minis can get large, but 6' is pushing it. And yes, 3' on center between plant is "the norm" but it depends on the variety and the growing conditions.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

I suspect these are not the typical miniatures grown in Canadian greenhouses. More than likely they are from Mexico or anther Latin American country. The name, "Rosas Surtidas," seems to indicate that.
    Miniature blooms can be from Polyanthas which can get quite large and have small foliage similar to a miniature rose.