Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zephirine Drouhin photo--a pretty lady!

Posted by James_Shaw NorCalif. (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 19:27

Zephirine Drouhin is not only eye-catching, but fragrant and, pretty much, thornless. It is a heady experience to walk pass this enchanting beauty.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zephirine Drouhin photo--a pretty lady!

A truly wonderful photo!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 20:21

Your Zeffy is a beauty!

o

It's breathtaking!

o

That is gorgeous!! Mine is just a big ol' green bush...never has had more than 2 or 3 blooms!!

o

James, that is beautiful! Do you have any pest problem on this one,I see some small catterpillars on them. Can you share your care instructions for this plant. thanks

o

Thank you for the kind comments everyone. No pest problem Kandhi, but do spray for black spot, rust and mildew. I hope the following answer to your question does not make me seem to lackadaisical a gardener, but all I have done so far this year is cut out dead canes and cut back those that get to low over the walkway. No fertilizer yet, but soon a half cup of each: 7-7-7 slow release, blood meal, bone meal and glacial rock dust. I have my own well so stick it to the local utility by watering a lot (more than one gallon per rose per week). Hope all this helps, Jim

o

Jim, what direction does your Zeffy face? I want to know if I'm doing something wrong with my non-bloom girl

o

Gorgeous picture of one of my favorite roses--

Florence

o

Hello Rosarama, From the angle of my photograph, the sun sets at 2 O'clock or thereabouts. Hope you can find the bloom problem with your Zephirine Drouhin because this is truly a wonderful rose. Jim

o

Jim:

I see what you mean. It probably faces the east and gets the early morning sun. The roses I have in that exposure bloom non-stop. However, the Zeffy gets the western evening sun but is in part shade which I was told, she would tolerate - but apparently not

o

My Zeffy gets a only late afternoon Sun ad she is quite happy. Unfortunately, mine is on rootstock and this year it sprang forth, so now I have Dr. Huey blooming along with Zeffy. It was a shock when it first bloomed, but they are actually quite pretty together. Now I can't decide whether to remove it or not.

o

you know, I am getting a bit sick of seeing everyone's gorgeous ZD!! :)

I have had one for ten years, west exposure on fence, so, if she would GROW, she would see the other side of the fence is full sun!! 5 foot fence, so no drama getting over it! But NO! scrawny plant, own root from ARE, ten years old, and five blooms MAYBE a season, and STRICTLY ONCE A SEASON! no fudging here!

canes yellow and die, I guess sun is too short, although noon on is full sun. DUBLIN BAY doesn't seem to mind right next door...AND, isn't she a partial shade gal??? ok, noon to evening ought to work.

Anyway, I hate to sp her, my neighbor (an aphid's fly away) has a beauty that is on the east side of her home with a fence 15 feet away, so an even narrower pocket of sun, we bought them the same day, and va-voom, hers is like yours.

I know east is better than west, I guess I ought to move her but there are few areas where vivid pink works for me.

Please excuse the ranting, but geez, y'all sure are pretty! Ok, I am moving her tomorrow!! ANd NOT the trash bin.

o

Mine faces east and is 5 years old now...

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here