Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grocco_gw

Trying to find a 'Sterling' rose bush

grocco
12 years ago

I've been looking for a specific rose bush for my wife for some time. I'm not sure what the official name of the rose is, but she always called them Sterlings. They're sort of a pastel lavender color with a very strong scent. The only time I have ever seen them is when I used to buy them for her from a local florist. I've never been able to find one at any garden stores/nurseries, or online. Any suggestions?

Comments (98)

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

A neighbour grew SS and Peace, when I was a child in the 50s. I always wanted them and when I started gardening, Peace was the 1 st rose I bought. SS was much harder to find and when I finally found it in the late 80s, the several plants I tried were weak and never did much in spite of all the TLC I expended on them. Would really love a good clone, because there is nothing like that colour when it is growing well. Melodye

• roseseek
    8 years ago

That's what I've waited for Melodye. I finally have a small, young, own root virus indexed Sterling Silver I'm nursing until it can provide buds to use on the several virus indexed stock types I'm growing. Something has to work with it.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wish you all the luck in the world, roseseek. Such a beautiful rose deserves all the help it can get. Please,send it over here when you have done it. Melodye

Of course, the rootstocks here would continue to be a drawback, but I don't seem to have problems with our strains of RMV, unless the plant is VERY stressed. I get the odd leaf that shows symptoms if it is very hot.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Oz, it brought memories when you just mentioned Peace and SS in the 1950s. I was a kid then, too, and my Dad had a small rose garden at our home, and the only rose I knew about was "The Peace Rose" as it was called then with great affection. People loved that rose. In 1960, Sterling Silver first came out in Idaho, and Dad gave my Mom a big bouquet of SS for their anniversary. Again, this was another special rose, and I had never seen anything like it. My Dad passed away a few months later, and I have been trying to get SS ever since, but when I occasionally had the chance I was afraid to try it. Now my favorite local rose people have it for this spring. It will be a 3-5 gallon rose, probably budded out and possibly blooming when I'd pick it up in May. Should I go for it with our hot, awful summers that are so dry? Kim, Oz, what do you think? Diane

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Nanadol, for me, here, it was a heartbreaking disappointment, because it was such a poor grower; but our climate is now hotter and drier, rather nearer to what it was in Sth Aust, where I grew up, so, just maybe, I MIGHT try again. I'm pretty sure it would prefer hot and dry. Not sure how it would winter, unless it was protected because, although we had winter frosts in SA, there was definitely no snow. It has sentimental value for me also, because it gave me something to look forward to. My Dad was an invalid during those years, so a lot of time was spent helping my Mum. Dad died just before my 16th birthday and SS was especially beautiful that year so that gave me another reason to want it. Melodye

• roseseek
    8 years ago

I think you should try it, Diane. I would disbud it to force it to grow into the plant you want then let it do its thing. "He who shall remain nameless" always said that mauve was a "recessive, recessive yellow", and that could help explain why mauve roses have always been such awful plants. More modern types are significantly better, but SS was the large breakthrough rose of its color and the first to have been tremendously hyped. At one time, I grew sixty-something mauve HTs and floribundas and would take in a bucket of the various blooms to work. People would gasp and exclaim, "Look at all those Sterling Silvers!". Ironically, there were absolutely no Sterling Silver blooms in the bunch, but everyone, even half a century later, still knows that name. It's like Baccara. The name is legendary to those who paid attention, so Meilland continues using it in various permutations. J&P recycled the name for Allure, Sterling '95, forty years later. I think many of us have sought "that color" and "that scent" from many others and even though most have been stronger plants, none have satisfied because none have BEEN Sterling Silver.

A store I worked for years ago, used to get the culls pushed strongly from Coiner. They would take the "one cane wonders" which never develop into anything, can them, fertilize and spray the devil out of them to push them into growth and bloom, then dump them into various venues at surprisingly low prices. There would always be at least a pallet of SS in three gallon cans with beautiful foliage and huge sprays of bloom. They were almost always the first to sell. We forget it was bred by a florist rose breeder for her husband's florist business. It was her second attempt at raising a florist variety of that color and pretty much opened her efforts to garden rose production. Florist roses traditionally are kept well sprayed so they always have perfect foliage. If you can replicate that, either through chemical means or through arid heat, the plant may respond appropriately. You'll have to keep it disbudded to achieve the size and perfection of a florist bloom and likely have to shade it to keep the flowers from crisping when the heat really starts cooking, but it should grow and flower. How it will respond to your winters I couldn't even begin to suggest. The "winters" I have been used to required a pruning to reduce the wind "sail" growth and keeping the plants sufficiently watered to endure the frequently 80 F temps without rain.

I have waited to touch this prima donna until I could play with virus indexed material and stocks. If I can get Grey Pearl to grow to large plants on different stocks, perhaps I can get SS to follow suit? It's going to be a fun experiment!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Your knowledge of roses in all its permutations is truly astounding, Kim. I'm not exaggerating. I mean it. I was aware that SS was a florists' rose, but that's about all. I knew it had a bad rep and that was brought home to me in 1999 when my Mom died, and I wanted the florist to make some bouquets featuring SS for the service, and the florist wouldn't do it! She said SS was too undependable, might arrive in bad condition, or might not even be sent. I ended up with some rose called Blue Bird--meh.

Back to your advice. Are you saying that when the hot weather hits, I should shade SS, but otherwise plant it in full sun? If fungal disease is a big issue, then I'm home free on that count because we don't have them here (The Fairy excepted with its PM). So I don't spray. You are saying it really lacks vigor, and I'm sure nurseries do pump up their roses before sale. My nursery here is exceptional and totally reputable, a family business since 1930. Most of the many roses I have purchased from them in the big pots have taken off like rockets and never looked back (some exceptions, of course), so if any SS fails for me, I'll know I simply can't grow it. I do remember in years past observing that this nursery's SS were huge and marveling at it. I guess I can enjoy it for one summer before the decline--who knows? I'm still trying to convince myself, I guess. Thanks for all your advice and patience. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Gosh, Oz, I'm sorry about your Dad. My Dad died when I was fourteen, so we share some common links, both sad and happy. Maybe we should both try growing SS and keep a running diary on the Forum about it. It might be fun and a way to vent frustration about this crazy rose. Diane

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Thank you, Diane. There is a florist Sterling Silver. I rooted and grew it, sharing it with Vintage years ago. Gregg wrote of it in their Big Catalog that it was stronger and perhaps not virused. Who knows? Every form of SS he grew proved to be too easily lost for Vintage to maintain. My sister, her boyfriend and I gave a co worker's daughter our "photographic services" many years ago as her wedding present. The venue was beautiful and her "theme" quite fun. Everything was black and white 1940's fashion with over the top greenery and a church load of Sterling Silver roses, so it was all black, white, green and lavender in a huge burnished brick sanctuary with enormous stained glass windows. The color and scent of those blooms WERE Sterling Silver. And, they cost them a fortune.

It just isn't a strong plant. If the climate doesn't support disease, the foliage is gorgeous and very characteristic. There is a blue cast with a definite "bloom" to the leaves. That dusty bloom seems to be what keeps mildew at bay unless conditions are really bad for it. Once you've seen clean, healthy SS foliage, you can see its effects in generations of its breeding. MANY mauve roses (and others) contain its genes and you can easily see it in their foliage. Arid warmth suits the plant just fine. It doesn't suit the petals. TPN (total parental nutrition), the "best of everything" is perfect for it. Warm roots in very fertile soil, protection from all fungal issues, consistent moisture and protection from extremes in heat and cold as well as too hot sun for the blooms will produce some heart stopping flowers. It doesn't generate good roots, so budding on the stock most suitable for your soil/water is a must. The Arena plants of it on VI Dr. Huey in Wasco years ago were stupendous. They honestly resembled how it was described in the ARS annual introduction in the late fifties. Tall, full, bushy with "that foliage". When you know what it is supposed to look like, you can pick it out of a field without ever seeing a bloom.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

So there is a florist Sterling Silver and a "garden" SS, Kim? I didn't realize they did such things--bring out two versions of a rose.

That wedding you describe sounds fabulous. Do you have any photos? Photography must be among your talents as well as all things rose. Anyway, I thank you for all this informative discussion. I've spent all day wondering just where I could best put SS, and in my cramped garden it's not going to be easy. Still debating with myself. Diane

• roseseek
    8 years ago

They weren't two "versions", Diane. It was Sterling Silver, most definitely. I called it Florist Sterling Silver to differentiate it from the "garden variety" SS. It was more vigorous than the run-of-the-mill plants always found, but still nothing great. That's what inspired Gregg to theorize it may not have been virused. The wedding was fabulous and it was a great time shooting it for them. That was thirty-plus years ago. My, how time slips by so quickly! No ma'am, no photos. The fun part was our photos were exactly what they wanted and much better than the "professional" photographer's. We knew them well and were able to move around through it all, catching candid shots without interrupting. I guess we were pretty good at "stealth"!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

I am tempted to get it and grow it in a large pot, on castors, so I can move it around to suitable positions according to the daily UV levels, lol. It would have no competition for food or water that way either. Picture the short, dumpy old lady dragging her potted rose on a lead around the patio and deck :D Melodye

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I thought of the pot solution, too. Picture a tall, dumpy old lady dragging a potted rose around. I already drag around pots, and window boxes of hot peppers, lemon grass, and a whole lot more. My patio is just an extension of the main garden. Yes, Kim, would a large pot work? And not being in zone 10, I'd have winter to contend with, so that probably puts the kibosh? on it.

I'm glad that long ago photography went so well, Kim. It does sound like fun. Diane

• roseseek
    8 years ago

By all means, if you want to try it in a pot, do it. It just MAY work. I'm sure there are plenty of other things you over winter in pots. One more shouldn't hurt, should it? You forget, Diane, I've met you. Don't believe any part of the description other than "tall", the rest of it is the exact opposite of reality!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Well, the choice has been removed, for me, because SS has been removed from the online catalogue I use. Sigh. I will try calling them, but am not hopeful. Melodye

• Sandra
    8 years ago

Wow. Such the informative thread. I am researching what to plant (Houston) and stumbled upon this conversation. We haven't been here long, so I am not familiar with the best choices for the climate. I know zilch about roses but wanted to incorporate them into the overall schema. So...the rose I like has a name and it is super scary! I kid. But seriously, I am now petrified of the Sterling Silver.

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Don't be. The WORST it can cost you is whatever you pay for the plant. I would definitely buy a BUDDED plant. Don't waste your money on an own root, from anyone. It just isn't a strong plant. Budding is the only way to go. And, when you get it, limit its flowering until it develops into a stronger plant. It WILL try to flower itself to death and that will weaken the plant. If you must see blooms, allow something like every other one to mature. You'll thank yourself once you have a decent plant growing.

• Sandra
    8 years ago

Thank you for your encouragement (and unbelievable amount of knowledge you have shared here, along with everyone else)! I am worried most about sourcing a quality plant as that seems to be a particular issue w/ the SS?

• roseseek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You're welcome, thank you! Your best bet is to find a nursery carrying it that is large enough for you to look over as many canned plants as possible until you find the one which impresses you most. Some will have thicker canes and more of them than others. If you're not opposed to bare roots, you could always order from an on line source still offering them. If you'd like something related to Sterling Silver, but a much better grower with larger flowers of similar coloring, you can't do better than the old tried-and-true Blue Moon. It isn't Sterling Silver, but in many ways it's an improvement over it. Or, if you want a real treat, go for Blue for You as an own root from Heirloom. It grows magnificently own root, roots easily and is rudely healthy in Southern California. And it has SCENT! Heavy, sticky, spiced apple that makes my stomach growl. It isn't silvery like Sterling and Blue Moon, but look at the range of colors this thing puts out! Then, hit Ludwigs Roses up for an Eyes for You! Bred from Blue for You, it's also been healthy here with an even more delicious scent! Look what this thing can provide! Both of these roses avoid all of the Sterling Silver drama and are two of the most incredibly seductive roses I have encountered in MANY years! Eyes for You is a sibling of Bull's Eye, but with a wilder color range and none of Bull's Eye's mildew.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm growing Neptune, Blue Girl, and Sweetness, and none of them quite match up to the magnificent bloom shape and perfect fragrance of Sterling Silver, "the original lavender color rose". That being said, Sterling Silver can be a little bit stingy putting out blooms, and there will be a large part of the year where the bush does not have any current blossoms. Sterling Silver is not quite as vigorous as the others either, or as disease resistant.

I think the reason Sterling Silver has become harder to find because many in the rose business believe the newer lavender roses have "superseded" the older variety. People are looking for "low maintenance" roses that grow like weeds, don't need much attention, and have lots of big blooms with lots of fragrance. Trying to achieve those ends, I think something is lost though.

I've heard good things about Lady X.

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Lady X can be pretty and it is more vigorous than Sterling, but Lady X isn't very fragrant.

• Rhonda Davis
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am with you...one look at Sterling Silver and my heart was won over. It is that unearthly hue that gets to you. I have babied and pampered my small bush with much fervor...finally in desperation I dug it up from our rose garden where it was pouting with black spot and brought it into our greenhouse for winter. I planted it in a huge pot and I will continue moving it wherever it will thrive. This year, the third year since planting it is AWAKENING! It has given me a "sterling" blossom and has several buds! I wish I could show you my prized blossom...I have been sharing it like a proud mother hen! All I can say is "GO THE DISTANCE" with this mysterious fussy and rather magical rose and you will find the desires of your heart. ;) So thankful to see it in it's glory.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

I really enjoyed rereading this old post, which I had forgotten about. I've satisfied my lavender longings in recent years with two Love Song plants. I love their color, beauty, and the size of their blooms. Unfortunately, they don't have the scent of Sterling Silver. Someday,I may still try SS, but my biggest problem is space, plus my favorite local nursery hasn't been carrying SS, either. Here is Love Song from this spring. Diane

• Rhonda Davis
    4 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Diane! Good to hear that Love Song does so well and I may give it a try!

That color!! Here is my Sterling!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

I don’t have Sterling but I so have Stainless Steel. Just planted this spring, it is vigorous and very fragrant. I’m super happy with it. How would you compare it?

• Rhonda Davis
    4 years ago

I would say that is it sublime and probably much bigger and healthier than my Sterling! Maybe a tad lighter than sterling but I see the silver lustre indeed! Thank you for letting me see it because I have wondered about them! I have been trying to find one around here but no luck. Next year I shall try to add one to my 36 plant rose garden! My Sterling insists on growing in a big pot rather than the garden.

• Juanita Richards
    3 years ago

In NZ mine is called Silver Anniversary and it it just as you describe, but I see roses by that name in England are a different colour.

• smsaxton
    2 years ago

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a sterling silver rose bush? My best friend just died and she loved the SS rose. I live in Alaska but she lives in Idaho. thank you.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

My sympathies to you, smsaxton. Edwards Nursery in Boise, ID, carried Sterling Silver this spring, but last week when I visited the nursery, almost all their tremendous rose supply was gone. You could check by phone or email to see if any SS are still available, but I'm doubtful. These roses are in five gallon pots mostly, and would have to be picked up in person. Diane

• roseseek
    2 years ago

I join Diane in expressing my sympathies. Sterling Silver is a gorgeous flower on a much less than desirable plant. You will likely have more success finding Love Song, a much newer, vastly improved plant with similar coloring. MUCH easier to grow and keep alive and quite a bit healthier. And, since it is much newer, it's likely going to be easier to find. Add that is is descended from Sterling Silver through Memorial Day and it does have more than just an appearance connection. Good luck.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Kim, I didn't realize that Love Song had descended from Sterling Silver. Thanks for the information. This whole thread is so great to reread. What a history it contains with your Informative (and sometimes humorous) comments, and Ozmelodye's comments as well. She is a forum member who hasn't posted in years, and I miss her so much. Love those Australians. Diane

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

https://roguevalleyroses.com/rose/sterling-silver/

Found it! Rogue Valley roses has sterling silver.

Enjoy,

GardeningTeenager

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago
  • Mei Zhu
    2 years ago

I saw this near me

• Mei Zhu
    2 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Sterling Silver is often available at my favorite local nursery, so I don't think it's impossible to find. I guess I mentioned that above. Glad to have you back, Melodye! Diane

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

Aww! Thanks Diane. I mentioned on the other thread, that I ordered a plant of SS last year but due to unforeseen circumstances it died. The Supplier still has it listed so will try again next year, along with Love Song.and maybe a Stainless Steel, which was an unproductive one stem wonder when I last got it. I was a spring chicken five years ago compared to now. but still love SS! Melodye

I’ll still use a pot I think and drag it around. to shadier spots when necessary. M

• Sarah Wilson
    2 years ago

Jackson and perkins has them right now!!

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

For any of you who read all of the posts above, and are interested, I still have the Sterling Silver plant I got from Vintage in 2009 that Kim (@roseseek) provided the original cuttings of. It has never shown any virus. It's not my most vigorous rose, but it's doing fine and I cherish it more than words can say.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

It was available again locally here in Boise, but is now sold out. So it persists and doesn't seem to be in danger of disappearing. Diane

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

Good to see you commenting again, Diane . Hope you are feeling better. No good news about Lou. Love Melodye

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thanks, Melodye, but I'm sorry about Lou, and I do have some understanding of what you're going through. We should talk. I need to start joining in on the seasonal thread. Still pretty sad. Love to you, too. Diane

• Sarah Wilson
    last year

The three plants I ordered from Jackson and Perkins just bloomed and sadly they are NOT Sterlings, they are a pink variety. My 10+ years search continues. I contacted their costumer service, hopefully I get a refund.

• GardeningTeenager
    last year

do you think the original band they have is the wrong variety or do u think you could get a replacement of the right kind?

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sterling SIlver is still very much in commerce , Weeks is still very actively propogating her, my local nurseries (Northern California) were full of them this spring. It may be that they know she’s rather fragile and particular and they’re only shipping her to places where they know she’ll be OK.

Of course I could not resist getting one! She’s clearly very happy here, giving 2 nice fluses already and staying completely healthy (she was a real wimp when I tried her in Texas) She is tops for clarity and beauty of color, that together with her consistenly strong pure lemon-rose perfume makes her well worth the trouble!

Sarah

I’m sorry you got the wrong rose, especially from J&P, that’s surprising. They don’t do everything right but they’re usually very good about being true to variety. I agree, request a refund. My opnion is to continue to look for her grafted (ie from Regan next spring) she needs all the help she can get!. I once eagerly bought a huge healthy body bag labeled Sterling Silver but it when the giant bloomed she turned out to be Queen Liz…it was indeed too good to be true.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

What Ben said above! Sarah, if you decide to order from Regan, know that their mail order bare root ordering season opens in September for spring shipping. You'll want to jump on your order right away when they open, because they sell out fast. I highly recommend them.