Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's causing this problem

Posted by seanw Wa (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:58

Hi,

I noticed some of my roses have this white/grey dots on the leaves. It feels like something is sucking the juice out of the leaves and left a thing layer only.

Appreciate your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's causing this problem

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:08

That's exactly what's happening. Rose slugs are tiny green worms on the undersides of the leaves that suck the juices out and cause those dots. You can pick them off but that's really hard or you can try a hard spray of water to the undersides of the leaves or get an insecticide for them.

o

Yes, it is rose slugs. These are not really slugs, but sawfly larvae. They scrape off the bottom surface of the leaves and leave these translucent windows. As they mature, they will make holes and can skeletonize the leaf.

If you have only a few roses, just wipe the bottom surface of affected leaves with your thumb. Predators often bring rose slugs under control after a while,

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:13

To add to mg's comments, if you can get out there and wipe before too much damage is done, they don't multiply and make things worse. Quicker you can smash them the better. Wear some thin nitrile gloves if squishing bothers you.

o

thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here