Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ASCOT as promised....

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 20:16

Well here it is. This is a gorgeous rose. I'm not sure about the violet highlighting...my eyes didn't see it....but there is blue in this rose. Huge flush, long lasting blooms even in hot sun and 2 days of thunderstorms.
Hoovb, I bet yours has improved?
And where is Nana these days?
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ASCOT as promised....

Susan - That's gorgeous! I like the violet highlighting. I was just thinking about Nana too, I miss her.

o

Thanks Sara-Ann. It is a super easy rose. I planted it last year thinking it would be the "big rose" of this bed. Then I decided I wanted to do Crepuscule and the copper/pink/orange teas. SO Ascot will have to move this autumn.
But this rose is super vigorous and super healthy (so far). Pushing new growth now and has shot out 3 long canes.
Not much fragrance would be the only drawback. But it is a stunner. Couldn't believe it did so well in the rain...
Hoovb and I have been teasing each other. I hope hers is doing well!
And I hope someone has heard from Nana.
Susan

o

That is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I want that how.

M

o

Love your Ascot--a rose I've admired every time someone posted a pic of her!

Kate

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 10:20

Beautiful, Susan!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 10:26

That is so beautiful, Susan. Your garden must be amazing this spring. The touch of lavender blue with the rose is perfect.

Here's the entire spring flush one of mine. The other has nothing. A bit toasted by our terrible heat of last week, but three is greater than zero. I wonder if it would make a short climber with laterals off the long canes...

o

Dang Hoov....Yes, I'm overjoyed with my garden! Starting to fill in. I pulled down the long canes it shot out and it's making laterals. Trying to figure out color placement...with the Bourbons maybe? May put it in the back with Schonste so that when it finishes Ascot can take over.
Thanks everyone for the admiration. It's the rose, not the gardener. LOL
Hoov is yours on mf?
Susan
Susan

o

What a gorgeous combo with the lavender blooms (catmint ?).

o

Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:29

Yes mine is on mf--but that has not been a problem root stock for me. I have several on mf that are fine and dandy bloomers. Patience, I am trying to tell myself. Please let me know if you get laterals with blooms. I am thinking to try arraying the canes laterally because they are so long. Perhaps I can get a small climber out of it.

o

Multiflora does best for me here. Very vigorous. Yes, the laterals have bloomed on the canes. I believe that photo is one of the long canes. The clusters on the bush have yet to bloom... I can't believe how well the flowers have held up in rain and in a really hot position.
Yes, you just gotta be patient....
Iris, that is catmint. It's all over my yard. Cures a million ills!
Susan

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:07

And the flower opens. I get a Tea fragrance. It's--okay.

photo Ascot8082_zps87b53ea9.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here