Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are some good non fading orangish shrub roses

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 20:26

I looking for a easy care orange bush rose that will be up against a white vynal privacy fence in the sun all day. Im looking at orangish colored roses. Which ones might hold up without fading too much in the heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are some good non fading orangish shrub roses

Easy Does It is a great orange, coral, pink ruffled rose. The first flush was smothered with blooms. I don't use any caustic sprays, but black spot wasn't a problem last year. Thick green foliage. It reboomed all summer until November.

o

I don't know how it would perform for you in your climate, but All That Jazz was extremely healthy, brilliant and pretty colorfast in the mid desert. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: All That Jazz

o

I have Kanegem in the front rose bed for its beautiful color and easy care. It's either a shrub or a floribunda depending on where you look to purchase it. No scent, but the trade-off is good disease resistance and it doesn't seem to care too much about where you deadhead it.

The flushes seem to waver back & forth between looser, floribunda-type blooms and those perfectly shaped hybrid tea-type blooms.

o

I grow Gingersnap. Both the color and fragarance are quite pleasant. However, it got terrible blackspot and was almost totally naked towards the end of the season last year. I am not sure whether this is a case that Gingersnap is prone to getting blackspot here in NJ, or whether it is me not taking proper care of the rose. Newbie mistakes: I overdosed on "Rose food" fertizier and did not give it proper air circulation by surrounding it with tall Zinnias. This year I have moved it into a pot on my deck, and so far it is blackspot free.

Perhaps that someone on this forum can speak better to its disease resistance in PA/NJ/NY?

o

No, I don't think you did anything wrong with Gingersnap. I've tried it in three zones, five gardens and it is terrible, at least here in California. The initial color is wonderful and it HAD to be in the first garden because it belonged to my mother, whose nickname from childhood was "Ginger", and she found the color irresistible. Black spot, mildew and rust were constant plagues. That wonderful color turned greenish-ivory-brown in less than an hour in the intense, hot sun. The only plants of this rose I've ever personally seen look GOOD, were regularly sprayed within an inch of the growers' lives. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here