Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasdude

Polka and Neptune

northtexasdude
11 years ago

Hi! Anyone growing either of these and has a strong fragrance in their garden? I hear Neptune has a strong fragrance, but Polka is mild to strong (info from HMF). Just wanting to hear what you have to say about the scent or blooms in general.

Comments (10)

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Yup, Neptune has a very strong fragrance in my garden.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I am looking forward to our new neptune blooming. She sat since January doing very little, but in the past couple of weeks a pair of tall canes have sprung up

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

'Polka' has one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen, really spectacular. If it had no fragrance at all, it would still be worth growing. Unfortunately the plant did not do well for me, but I think I gave up on it too soon.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Neptune is my 2nd favorite rose in my potted garden. Fantastic fragrance, bloom shape, color and quantity. Wow!!!
    Carol

• ny_steve
    11 years ago

I have two Polka's growing as climbers. They are just beginning to mature. Nice blooms and grows well. Didn't have a large amount of blooms last year, nor did I specifically notice it's fragrance. I have high hopes for Polka this year though, as it's getting to be about 9 feet tall and looking pretty full. I had a Neptune, I had one nice bloom, but after that, it just sat there,so I removed it, as it wasn't own root, and I wanted only own root roses in my garden...although my Strike it Rich is a bare root rose, andI love it...although I did order an own root Strike It Rich this year. Good luck!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

My Neptune did not do all that well for me here. It ultimately died because of that 2007 Easter freeze fiasco. I have not replaced it. From what I have seen of it, Neptune appears to really like coastal climates because it is beautiful there. The Neptune that won Queen of Show at the PNW District show in Tacoma last year was drop dead gorgeous.

Polka does quite well for me with its fairly large, ruffled, apricot flowers. The plant always seems to have quite a bit of dead wood in the spring regardless of the kind of winter we have had. It is a nice climber.

• gardengrown
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with Neptune, but have grown Polka for 7 years. This year's blooms are the best ever. I'm very pleased with this climber. Depending on sun exposure during the day it has a variable sweet rose fragrance.

• john_ca
    11 years ago

I grow both Polka and its color sport Full Moon Rising (pale yellow). Both have a medium to faint tea fragrance. These are vigorous growers in my garden, sending up canes that are 10-12 feet tall after around 18 months in my garden. The flowers are 5-6 inches and occasionally larger. Its been a great rose for me.

• northtexasdude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to give both a try and see what happens. I love the colors of both.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

Neptune is not vigorous here. Odd, because almost every rose I grow exceeds printed size descriptions. Neptune is also the first rose encountered by deer as they enter my yard from the woods and is chewed up each spring and fall.

Yet, Neptune is one of my few remaining HT's. It keeps plugging along and the blooms that make it are almost perfect.

{{gwi:222035}}