Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

Is this rose dead?

lynbornman
9 years ago

My roses did horrid this year after the brutal winter. I lost a lot of them. I have 3 New Dawn roses that were very large about 5 years old. One is showing no signs of life at all and the other two have what looks like suckers coming out of the base. The canes are completely dead. I don't know if roses sucker and I'm not at all an expert on roses. Will this rose come back and bloom eventually or is it essentially dead? Thanks! Lyn

Comments (15)

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the second one with similar but smaller stems.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If the green canes (stems) are coming out of the bud union, the rose has survived. The bud union is the knobby part like a fist. Suckers come from below the bun union, or away from it, from the soil. You might need to rake a bit of the mulch away and look for the source of the canes. Hope is not lost!

• elks
    9 years ago

Looks just like mine this year. Fear not. It was a brutal winter for what have been hardy climbers. I lost every one to the ground like you, but they are all coming back. You will be growing bushes this summer. Hopefully, next winter's wind and sun are gentler.

Steve

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

You can just prune out the dead brown canes. In the 1st pic, it looks as though the green canes are coming from the graft so that looks great to me. Good luck!

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perfect. You guys have given me hope. I was going to yank them today. Sooooo upset with all the death on my property right now. Things that just shouldn't have died :-(

• subk3
    9 years ago

I grow a couple New Dawn and the first one looks normal. It's just a matter of if those stems are coming from the bud union and I suspect they are. The second...not so good. At first glance you've got some signs of Rose Rosette Disease--hyper-thorniness and strange leaf growth. It may not be RRD but you should look into it and remove the rose ASAP if it turns out to be infected.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

If the growth looks weird two or three weeks from now, post some detailed pictures. But so far, I'd say it is just rampant new growth that will normalize with a little time. We are all jumpy here about rosette disease, and subk3's caution is in order.

• kentstar
    9 years ago

Many have almost lost their roses this year. Here's a pic of a couple of mine that I had to prune all the way to the ground! They are coming back but slowly... First one is Livin Easy rose the second pic Westerland.

• kentstar
    9 years ago

Westerland rose pruned to the ground after a brutal winter here.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My heart goes out to all of you who have sustained such severe winter losses. I'd be devastated and discouraged, but it's encouraging to see that at least some of your roses are making a come-back. I'm hoping for warmer winters for you and wetter ones for my part of the country.

Ingrid

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok⦠I have never heard of that disease and now you have me freaked out. I will read in to it more, but these roses definitely had a funny look on the new growth last year and 'hyper thorniness' is exactly what I would call it.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Don't do anything rash. Lots of people have mistaken healthy vigorous basal growth for RRD. Wait to see if the lower leaves and thorns mature normally.

The article linked in a thread below by Henry Kuska is good.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    9 years ago

They look fine to me. I have one that I'm still "crossing my fingers" for. It has only a few purple & green leaves starting from a large cane. Last year it did the same, & was one of the prettiest bushes. So.............your bushes look FINE>

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    9 years ago

Plus some of my bushes always have green & burgundy color stems & leaves & are my most beautiful, hearty, bloomers.

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OKâ¦.I will wait it out. I'll post pics in a few weeks if I still have concerns. You guys are great.