Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Confused about floribundas vs hybrid teas

I may need to replace a bush, and would like to find either a red or violet or peach colored rose. I get confused as to what is similar to the long stem roses sold by florists. Are those floribundas or HTs? Any roses that are healthier, disease resistant in the colors I mentioned. Some of the bushes I have that have been growing for 10-20 years look like my favorite (the long stem roses one gets from a florist). Thanks!

Comments (4)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

The hybrid teas are usually the long stemmed florist type blooms. BUT that's not a hard and fast rule as it depends a lot on the individual variety of rose. In your zone hybrid teas will generally be more winter tender and will need to be well protected to survive a WI winter but it can be done. And there again there are some varieties that are more winter hardy than others.

Some varieties, both hybrid teas and floribundas, that have been hardy for me (even this winter, and remember I'm a zone warmer than you) are:

Red
    Crimson Bouquet, good health for me
    Veterans' Honor, will black spot
    Oklahoma, does black spot

Mauve
    Angel Face, always black spots
    Paradise, fairly good resistance
    Love Song, good disease resistance for me

Peach/Apricot/Orange
    Sisters at Heart, fairly healthy
    Tuscan Sun, good resistance for me
    Granada, will black spot
    English Sonnet, fairly healthy

If you're interested in a yellow my favorite is Julia Child. She's very vigorous and healthy and blooms ALL the time.

I make no guarantees about disease resistance because that seems to vary a great deal from place to place.

You might want to check out some of the Griffith Buck roses as well as the Canadian Explorers series as these roses were bred for colder climates.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Florist roses are specifically long stemmed and not marketed (as plants) except for a few like 'Sonia'. Some people have luck rooting a stem from their florist bouquet.

HT's have one bloom per stem. Length of stem depends upon growing conditions as well as cultivar genetics.

Floribundas are a bundle of blooms on one stem.

• User
    9 years ago

The single stem, "high center" roses you saw at the florist are hybrid teas, although I think there are high centered floribundas too. I am novice who grows very few hybrid teas. Assuming that hardiness is not an issue, here are one red, one peach/apricot HTs get limited blackspot in my Northeast NJ garden.

Red

Firefighter (Mine died back to the ground this winter, and is slow to come back.)

Peach/Apricot
    Valencia (Mine was in a pot and overwintered in my garage)

Both are borderline here in zone 6b in terms of hardiness. Zone 5 might be a bit challenge for HTs, but it seems that quite a few people on this forum grow HTs successfully in colder climate than mine.

Good luck.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ALL so much, especially "seil"!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!