Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Austins in New Orleans?

jockewing
10 years ago

I have been blown away with the beauty of the DAs in the pics I've seen here and want to try a few. Is there a nursery in the New Orleans area that sells them? I have ordered a Jude the Obscure from David A in Texas already and am eyeing A Darby. Love the ones with some orange in the colors. I prefer potted to bare root and like to physically see the plant before I buy. Also can any DA growers in S Louisiana/ Gulf Coast recommend varieties that have worked for you? I have a small yard that is mostly shade so my choices have to be good ones. Last question - know its late to plant bare roots now. Should I just pot up and wait until it gets cool in Fall to put in the ground?

Comments (8)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Premier Partnership Program Members
    Twin Oaks Nursery 630 E. Georgia Ave. Ruston LA 71270 Tel:318 255 9207 (PPP)
    Other Retailers
    All Seasons Home and Garden Shop 2974 Johnston St. Lafayette LA 70503 Tel:337 264 1418

These are from Austin's official website. I have found that if you call around to nurseries around you, they often carry Austins unofficially.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh, but unfortunately, those locations are several hours away from me. I will try to call some locations and see if they carry them.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Sometimes if you check Home Depot or places like that, they will have several Austins--but the selections may be random and limited. Every once in a while I see a prize one there, however.

Ordering online--after checking with this forum and with helpmefind.com and the David Austin site--is the best way to get the best selection of excellent Austins. At this point you probably want to get potted ones (not bareroots). Roses Unlimited and Chamblees both sell wonderful potted Austins.

Kate

• jockewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dublinbay, I had no idea Home Depot and places like that would ever carry Austins. All I ever see there are Knockouts (boring). Maybe I should pay more attention.

I did order a Jude the Obscure from DA in Texas about a week ago that will obviously be a bare root. Do you think I should just keep it in a pot through the summer before planting it out in fall/winter? I am really hoping I have some luck with the Austins. I have really never grown roses before.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I am in east Texas and love ordering from David Austin. Their bare roots are more expensive, but mine have taken off and done great. Chamblees sends excellent roses but are own root - they can take a little longer to get going but are really tough and healthy when they do. I have never had any luck finding DAs at Home Depot of Lowes - I order from DA or Roses Unlimited and buy from Chamblees - live 2 hours from them. I ordered some harder to find DAs from Hortico this spring and they are doing well. I have lots of DAs and love them all, particularly Abe Darby. Good luck!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If you check out the local garden centers and HD, etc., yes, they will sometimes have Austins, but I've never bought any from them. It's usually a bit later in the season when I see them and they don't look much like happy campers to me. Gertrude and Golden Celebration and some marginal types that never sell very well seem to be what they are--but if they had what I wanted, I wouldn't object to "nursing" the plant--usually planted in good soil and watered/fertized regularly will do wonders to revive a somewhat pathetic looking plant.

However, I really do recommend ordering Austins online from the places mentioned above--and by May, getting them potted, not bareroot.

I'm no expert at growing roses in pots. You certainly could do that with your bareroots, but I would probably go ahead and plant them in the garden (immediately) and then just keep a close eye on them, knowing they haven't developed much of a root system yet. Perhaps rig up something to shade them with during hot weather or the hottest part of the day. Don't drown them, but I'd make sure they didn't dry out since they don't have many roots to rely on.

I've never had to do this, but I think in your shoes, I would snap off all buds for most of the summer (well, let one bloom so you can see what it is going to look like--then snap it off!). If the rose isn't blooming, it can concentrate on building up a good root structure.

Good luck.

Kate

• jockewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well actually I found that the nursery outside of New Orleans called Banting's carries about a dozen or more different varieties of Austins, plus many other kinds, including the Peggy Martin rose and several old garden roses. Banting's has been a "destination" garden center in New Orleans area (probably has the best variety of any center in the area). Even though it is quite a distance from where I live, I try to make it out there at least once a year.

I picked up a Charlotte and an Abraham Darby. I was kind of disappointed to see that almost all of the roses in the nursery, except the Knockouts and some of the carpet types, were all covered in blackspot! The Charlotte is the only one I bought that were not spotted. Even all the old garden roses were spotted. Is this normal in a garden center setting? A function of the overhead watering necessary at a huge nursery like this and being stuck in small pots? Even though Abe was spotted, I wanted one of these badly so got the healthiest one I could find. I have already sprayed it with a fungicide to hopefully get rid of the blackspot.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

According to webpage of the New Orleans Old Garden Rose Society, 2013 Calendar

June 4 Meeting
    Speaker: Gregory Constant from the Baton Rouge Rose Society will present NEW 'OLD' ROSES: David Austin Roses.

Surely people will mention where to buy them and talk about BS if thatâÂÂs a problem for them. If you need info, Margaret, who is president, has contact info on the webpage. I heard Peggy say recently that sheâÂÂs had computer problems so calling Margaret might be best. Or see webpage for info on attending a single meeting. Best wishes, River

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans Old Garden Rose Society

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?