Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminerose4u

Announcing the arrival of Annie Laurie McDowell

Considering Annie Laurie McDowell was introduced by Kim Rupert in 2001, the same year as the birth of my daughter and the fact that I was added to a waiting list for Annie Laurie McDowell 8 months ago, I feel an announcement of sort is in order: I received my band of Annie Laurie McDowell from Burlington Roses today! I feel a heavy responsibility for nurturing this beautiful, thornless, fragrant rose. I love her graceful leaves. Hopefully she will do fine on her own roots in California. I plan to disbud her so she will climb.

Thank you, Kim and Burling for making this all happen, especially Kim.

Comments (10)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Congrats!

I think there are a few of us expecting/hoping too

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kippy. From what I hear, the waiting list is long, but Kim worked hard to provide propagation material.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Congratulations! I've had this rose now for quite a while in a pot and should warn you that at least for me it's been a very slow grower. I'm willing to be patient though, which is not the norm for me, because it seems like such a special rose. I hope you have great luck with yours.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ingrid:
    Even though all my roses are own-root, I'm wondering if this rose should be budded. I believe the mother plant from which my band came from is budded on Pink Clouds.

This is a special rose and I'm willing to wait whatever it takes, but I'm hoping my warm zone will help Annie Laurie McDowell grow. I see you are in zone 10. How many years have you had Annie and how tall is it now? Do you disbud to help her to climb?

Bonnie

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

I received mine from Burlington today along with my paid invoice, instructions, and a very nice Thank You note. What a world this would be if every company out there treated their customers like I was treated by Burlington. To you old forum members who have purchased from them in the past this is probably old hat, but it sure isn't for me. Thank You Burling Leong for the nice thank you note.

Toolbelt

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

She sent me a free Dresden Doll she said was too little to charge for.

And Marissa at Greenmantle sent a Talisman I begged for that she felt was too small---so she sent it with a refund check.

So many nice folks in the rose business--glad to hear your experiences.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. Burling is amazing, running a one woman business, responding quickly to emails, and carrying hard to find roses at such reasonable prices. I would like to meet her one day.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Bonnie, I've only had her for about 14 months and have her in a 5-gallon pot that I've cut down so there isn't too much soil in it for my small plant. There have been few buds, which I've taken off except for one because I just had to see what it looked like. At this point it has no climbing tendencies, but maybe by next year. One thing I have noticed is that it does very well in its hot, all-day sun location, but I've made sure that most of the pot is hidden by branches and a rosemary bush.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Wonderful! I'm glad ALmD is finally getting out there. Yes, Burling is a gem! Her propagation talents are as exceptional as her customer service and integrity. Keep your fingers crossed! She had a kitchen garbage bag full of ALmD cuttings hand delivered Wednesday morning.

Remember, this is a climber. A climber which would rather flower than grow. Climbers take their time maturing. Remember also the old saying, "First year they sleep; second year they creep; third year they leap!" No cane will grow before there are sufficient roots under it for support. Kim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim, I will make an appointment with myself to post photographs of my Annie Laurie McDowell three years from now on the rose gallery and on HMF. It won't feel like a long wait, because Annie's growth will be enjoyable at every stage. Right now she looks like a graceful bonsai tree. Glad to hear so many others will enjoy this rose soon. :)

Ingrid, thanks for the info about your ALMD.

Bonnie

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:31