Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will knockout roses come back after hard prune?

Posted by vivian_2010 IL 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 21:08

I have several red knockout and double knock out roses. They grew to ~ 2-3 feet last year and bloomed nicely. I hard prune them to ~ 1 feet tall, without too much thoughts. Now new growth start to appear. But will any damage be done due to the hard prune? Will they still grow to bloom in time? last year the bloom started in early June.

Thanks,
Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will knockout roses come back after hard prune?

I'm in zone 6b, so yours may not get as big as mine, but I bought one gallon plants in pots from Lowes three years ago. Last year they grew to five to five and a half feet tall. They looked like they were eating up my one story house, so dh cut them back one third to one half with hedge clippers in March. They have grown a foot already and are covered in buds with a dozens of blooms on each plant. I don 't think you need to worry.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 3, 11 at 15:16

You did nothing wrong! You could use a hedge trimmer to cut them down (though I don't recommend that) and they'd still grow back strong. Pruning any rose encourages new growth so you'll be surprised how quickly they'll spring back up. Make sure you've cut out all dead canes, canes that point directly into the center of the rose (to open the center for good air flow to prevent disease) and any crossing or rubbing canes. If you cut off the spent flowers after they bloom you'll get a bigger rebloom the next round. And you can cut them down some during the season if they're getting too tall or out of shape. It won't hurt them!

o

Thanks Lainey and Seil for your comments. Now I feel much better. New growth started to show up on all brunches now. So I am watching and praying. Now just heard that we may have frost tonight. So keep fingers crossed.

Vivian

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 11 at 21:31

Vivian, a light frost won't hurt them. Most roses can take temps down to about 28� before there is severe damage to new growth. If it's going to be a prolong freeze cover them with an old sheet at night to protect them.

o

I have had my knockout roses pruned by the rabbits to the point that I didn't think they had a chance. They all came back strong and healthy. That is the advantage of own-root rose bushes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here