Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Best Boerner floribundas

zaphod42
10 years ago

As a Wisconsin native and Milwaukee resident, I'm interested in including one of Eugene Boerner's creations in my rose garden. Planning to check Boerner Botanical Gardens for some ideas, but was wondering about the opinions here. I'm no-spray and am looking for BS resistance. Thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (8)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

He's one of my favorite breeders in my no spray garden! I've had success with all of his accept for Aperitif (just wasn't vigorous own root), and Goldilocks (seems to blackspot for me). The most disease resistant ones for me are Pink-a-Boo, Chic, & Gene Boerner.

Tammy

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I have Gene Boerner in its' second year. So far, it looks like a winner in my cold and damp climate. It was completely cane hardy last winter when we had lots of cold, drying wind, and showed no BS last fall. It grows big, to small shrub like proportions.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Some of his creations include:
    Aloha, Apricot Nectar, Bridal Pink, Coral Dawn, Diamond Jubilee, Faberge, Fashion (and also Vogue, both from the same cross), First Prize, Gene Boerner, Goldilocks, Ivory Fashion, John F. Kennedy, Lavendar Piniocchio, Ma Perkins, Masquerade, Parade, Saratoga, Spartan, Summertime, White Masterpiece, and Zorina

'Apricot Nectar' is very good, and the HT 'First Prize' is a classic.

'Geranium Red' is a bit of an oddity--OGR form, modern color--but the fragrance is wonderful and powerful, and the vigor is amazing for a rose introduced in 1947.

A bit of information about "Papa Floribunda" in the link

Here is a link that might be useful: A bit about Gene Boerner

This post was edited by hoovb on Tue, May 28, 13 at 10:27

• susan9santabarbara
    10 years ago

Gene Boerner is one of my favorite breeders (the king of FLs), and I have tons of his roses. Since Hoov mentioned Saratoga, I will say that it is my favorite white FL, and close to being my top fave FL. Not mentioned much, but a truly amazing rose. I tend to specialize in fragrant roses, but Saratoga without much fragrance trumps a lot of other roses in terms of its amazing performance and beauty. I grow hundreds of roses, and Saratoga is definitely in my top 20 faves.

• Molineux
    10 years ago

Hoovb,

How big is your GERANIUM RED? I've had my eye on this rose for some time but have held off trying it because of rumors it is a runty plant. I'd especially like to know how it does growing on its own roots.

Among Gene Boerner's creations the ones that have impressed me are Apricot Nectar and Saratoga. Both are excellent garden roses and are very fragrant. I would also include Aloha but it can be a handful and the thorns are bothersome.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I like Chic.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

The only Boerner rose I can recommend for no-spray gardens in the East is 'Aloha,' a large shrub or short climber that is resistant to blackspot in many gardens. The blooms are sumptuous, fragrant, and good for cutting, although sometimes I get bull nosed or proliferated flowers in the first flush. It repeats well. It should be marginally cane hardy in zone 5b, depending on the particular winter.

'Ivory Fashion' produces elegant sprays, but it was extremely susceptible to blackspot in my garden. I currently grow 'Apricot Nectar' and it is susceptible, but I like the large, very fragrant buds. 'Gene Boerner' needs fungicide here, but is not the worst BS martyr. Mike Shoup said it can be a no-spray rose in Texas, so maybe in Wisconsin? It is still an outstanding rose for prolific bloom and flower quality.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

BS martyr? Lol