Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Candelabras

C Schaffner
11 years ago

I have so many candelabras this year. More than any other year. Is that good or bad? I have been letting them bloom, then cutting them off even with the rest of the plant. Is that the right thing to do? Thanks

Comments (15)

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    11 years ago

That's what I do.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Same here and I do the same thing. I've gotten some gorgeous sprays on roses that have never done that before. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the odd weather we had early on.

• Maude80
    11 years ago

I hate to sound stupid, but what is a rose candelabra. I tried to google it but all I came up with was beautiful rose centerpieces:)

Maude

• vedazu
    11 years ago

I thought the post was about the rose named Candelabra. I did a Google, too--apparently they are these incredibly long stems with a bunch of roses above--my Mother of Pearl is doing almost only that this year--about 8 feet high. Can I prune it down to knee length as soon as it is done blooming or will that be too drastic?

• t_bred
    11 years ago

Most of mine are growing candelabras also, my Silver Shadows has one with 23 buds!

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it's a big long stem that grows out of the plant with lots of buds on the end. They are so pretty,
    but look so out of place.

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

I have a lot of candelabras too and was wondering what caused them. Both of my Maman Cochets have a huge candelabra growing out of the middle of the plant, maybe 2 or 3 feet higher than the rest of the plant. Looks kind of funny; not sure what to think of them.

• jewelie6
    11 years ago

Same issue here with my Dick Clark and White Licorice.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Good amount on all my established bushs'. I like to see them. I handle them a little different. I cut the center of the candelabras out early on. I leave the bottom 3 or 4 canes and cut the rest off. This way I help to build a strong, healthy bush. Vedazu NJ-----Don't cut it so hard right away. Take it down 1/2 way.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Here, certain cultivars (e.g., 'Irish Hope') will produce some good strong material on the candelabra that will grow more flowers and contribute to the health of the plant. Other cultivars (e.g., 'Eutin') produce candelabras that might as well be cut to the ground when they are finished blooming.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

THAT's what you call those. That's what's sticking out of my Europeana. It's a very short bush - about 1' tall by 4' wide. Then there are 4 3' sticks sticking straight up/out - and about 40+ blooms at the end of each. Silly as heck, but quite showy!

• vedazu
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ken for the advice--mother of pearl gets so high anyway--so, just start over about halfway down, as I understand you.

• Beth Willett
    11 years ago

I had several roses do that this year too! Fame, Yves Piaget and here's a pic of Brigadoon....kinda crazy.....!
    {{gwi:279765}}

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

My Fragrant Cloud has them. I'm excited to see them bloom.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Do yourself and your bush a favor. Before the candelabra gets to big and top heavy. Stake it up. I missed a big candelabra on Let Freedom Ring and it broke off at the graft union during a mild rain storm the other day. They get top heavy with all the canes and blooms. They are new, fresh canes that can use a little help.