Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!! basal growth or sucker?

Posted by nynewbie 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 21:26

Hi,
My iceberg rose has this insane cane that I can't tell if it's a basal growth or a sucker! It makes the rest of the rose bush look so wimpy... This growth is thorny and the roses look/smell the same as the remainder of the bush.

I read online that own-root roses don't grow suckers... I ordered my iceberg from Antique Emporium Roses where they claim all roses are own-root. Is this true? If so, why is the insane cane all thorny, bigger than the rest of bush?

Here are some pics... please help?

thanks!

judi

Here is a link that might be useful: basal growth or sucker?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!! basal growth or sucker?

I say it's a basal break. Maybe it's just extra vigorous because it's spring, and you have given the bush plenty of tender loving care.

o

How long ago did you plant your rose?

o

york_rose: i've had it for 2 years now... i keep it in a container (apt living).

petaloid: hehe, not much tlc, must be beginner's luck! :)

o

Own roots will sucker but the sucker will be the same as the parent rose. If your Iceberg is an own root, the sucker will be Iceberg. If you want the bush to grow up and not out, cut the errant cane off just above the new cane growing out of it. That'll put the energy into the new cane and possible back to the remainder of the bush.

o

A sucker is an unwanted shoot. This is a desireable shoot.

o

Well, if the growth is coming out above the graft or bud union, you have basal breaks. Growth that comes from below the graft are suckers. On budded or grafted roses, the suckers may be from the the root stock, ie., Dr. Huey, and will produce flowers not true to the grafted top blooms. With your fingers, gently follow the growth down until you find where it is coming from. If below the graft, cut or rub it off as close to the cane as possible.

o

I have a rose that did the same thing. Didn't know if it was own-root or not, but since the flowers are the same as the mother plant, it is not Dr. Huey, and therefore, just a different limb, and desireable. I think yours is the same, since the flowers are the same as your rose, and not of a different 'rootstock' variety.

o

I haven't done any container growing of roses, but I know from personal experience that a rose recently planted in the ground (if it's not at full strength) may put out much smaller, thinner canes its first or second year than it will when it's mature. I could be wrong, but I suspect your rose has just produced its first mature-size cane, and that as long as it remains healthy and reasonably vigorous you should expect more of these from here on out. I think what you experienced previously was just the preliminaries, as it were.

(When I saw the older stems in your photo that's immediately what I thought of. Your reply fit perfectly with my suspicions.)

o

I am no expert, but even if that cane were on a grafted specimen, its not coming from the roots, its coming from an existing, old wood cane. That means its not a "sucker" in the way you thought it might be.

o

thank you so much everyone for your replies. So, i guess i'll leave it alone for now. It is quite vigorous, it puts out a lot more roses than the rest of the bush, and it's grown taller too.

It's the first time I've owned roses so i'm still learning about them; I love it and wish i had more space so i could get more :)

again, thank you and have a great weekend!!~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here