Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This a Clematis?

Posted by martinca none (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 21:32

I'm betting so, since I bought a small potted one years ago and it never did anything. Never tried, really, due to lack of success in past. I always thought they were not ideal for So. Ca. Now I see some of my neighbors on here have them, I'm determined to try again. The pot is long gone, and here 's what I'm seeing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This a Clematis?

maybe honysuckle

o

Honeysuckle is what I first thought, too. Kim

o

Definitely not Clematis and I'm iffy on the Honeysuckle, too.

Linda

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:16

The really small Clems you normally see for sale in So Cal are hard to get started. The five gallons are too big to plant easily. Look for a 1 or 2 gallon viticella hybrid locally (Etoile Violette, 'Polish Spirit') or Jackmanii. Those are the easiest. After you get a couple going try others.

Skip the double flowered ones and 'Nelly Moser'--the doubles are a lot tougher to get going here and 'Nelly' though lovely is also harder to get going.

photo 5-11-jasmin6872_zpsee0a82a0.jpg

o

Thanks. Hoov. Your purple is lovely! Would love to see any of yours vining. As for you who guessed honeysuckle, I just peeked over the fence into the field that is filled with....honeysuckle!!! Silly me for not taking into account the lack of bloom,on mine... It's in full shade.
Darn. But it was fun for a while to think I'd found a surprise volunteer of something special.

o

Hoov, that is a gorgeous picture! I purchased Venosa Violacea clematis from ebay that was only two inches tall when I received it a few months ago. It is now about four. I'm happy it made it through the heatwave and I hope it makes it through summer.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:38

jasminerose4u, rich soil, a thick mulch of good compost (keep the compost from coming into contact with the stems) and never, ever, ever let the soil dry out. Don't drown it of course, but dry soil is fatal. Try a weak fertilizer like fish emulsion at half the recommended strength every couple of weeks. They like fertilizer.

photo 4-27-6305_zpsdb12d230.jpg

o

Wow! Beautiful photography and Clematis. Thank you for the tips, Hoov. I had my mulch touching the stems, but I'll move it away and add a weak fertilizer.

Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here