Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown canes

Posted by shelleyh z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 21:52

Most of my florabundas have brown canes with little budding however when I bend the stems they feel rubbery and there is a green color under the brown. I don't know if I should cut the plants down or wait for some budding. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown canes

As you cut them, what does the pith inside the cane look like? I seldom wait too long this time of year. I go ahead and cut, and allow the rose to renew itself - unless it is a once bloomer.

Sammy

o

I'd wait. The forsysthia is still blooming, so it is still early. It will probably all be cut down anyway, but waiting will give you a clearer idea of what to do.

Once upon a time, I did some late fall pruning. Something happened, and I didn't get the clippings all picked up. When I found them the next spring, they were still green and flexible.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 14 at 12:02

You don't have to cut it all off at once. Take off anything you know is dead now and give them a couple more weeks to see what may start to bud out and then take off the rest. I usually end up having to do this every year because on the first round I tend to err on the side of caution and leave things that look iffy. Then once it gets warmer and they start to really grow I can see that they need further pruning and where they need to get cut back more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here