Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could this Possibly Be Brandy?

Posted by martinca So. Ca. Coastal (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 22:04

It was supposed to be, but has only slight fragrance, and I see none of the dusky bronze as yet. Only had for three days. Pretty, anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could this Possibly Be Brandy?

The flower looks right, but the dead give aways are:

Dark green old foliage, often rusted.

Bronze new foliage, usually mildewed.

If those fit, then I'd say chances are very good it's Brandy. Kim

o

It also has the ruffles that Brandy gets, I was crazy to have this rose for ages then it lasted in my garden 2 years before I got rid of it

o

Kim,

I bought a second Brandy last year because I loved my first one so. I have just had my first bouts with rust and mildew this year. BUT, , both my first and second Brandy (also my adored Pristine) haven't had a touch of either. My second Brandy is very close to my 'Typhoid Mary' named Francis Meilland. I am of course, in a less rusty and mildew prevalent area.

Mantica,

The color and the thickness of the petals look right. I think it probably is Brandy. But about the fragrance, neither of mine have much of a fragrance...Of course my second one is sitting very near Firefighter, and that one is such a beaut for fragrance. Maybe by comparison, she has no smell.

I love this rose. It lasts forever both on the bush and in a vase. I hope you love her as much as I do.

andreark

o

Thank you all for the i.d. probability, along with the good and the bad descriptions. HMF did mention bs, but not rust. I promised my husband no more ugly bushes, so perhaps this one should not go into the garden, but be potted up around the corner? Also, don't want it giving diseases to others....which is likely?...or not ? andreark, I hope so too!! I'm a fool for apricot roses, and wanted this one for awhile.
Thank you all.
Marti

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:08

That looks like 'Marilyn Monroe'. The way to ID Marilyn is by the prickles, which are plentiful and nasty. The color could be off because of last week's dreadful heat wave.

o

Yes! It really does look most like HMF photos of MM. There are thorns, but at present size of bush, I'm not sure if they 'll be the mm deadly kind. We'll see, but guessing you nailed it, hoovb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here