Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

I love Zephirine Drouhin

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I have been very impressed with Zephirine Drouhin so far. It is getting huge and I thought it bloomed really well for its second season. I used to have one against a north facing wall, and I liked it then, but it does so much better in full sun. If there are better older roses, I would love to know about them.

Comments (23)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Do you grow it as a climber? I would love to have this rose but do not have room for another climber. I have heard it can be grown as a large shrub. Your rose is beautiful!

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I love it, too....

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Me too, I have 36 of them.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Boncrow, right now I'm growing it as a shrub, Toolbelt, I can't imagine having that many of the same variety, but I've seen pictures of yours and they are beautiful.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Well your picture did it for me! I bought 2 zephies today and I want to grow them as a shrub. Your rose was so beautiful I had right have one. You said you grow yours as a shrub too. Is the repeat bloom good for you? I also bought a DA Heritage due to another picture someone posted and their positive comments. I am excited about both roses and can't wait for some beautiful blooms. I have been thinking of those 2 particular roses for a while and the pics you and the other poster shared really helped with my decision. Thanks for sharing!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Broncrow - I'm not certain about the repeat bloom yet. It didn't do much at all last year as far as blooming. I believe it is now setting on more flowers. When I had it on the north side it usually bloomed in the spring and fall. I think when the conditions are right for it, it blooms more than that. I'm sure Toolbelt and others who have had it longer than I have would know. Seems like I remember someone saying theirs bloomed almost continuously. I wish you the best of luck with yours and want to see pictures when it blooms.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:00

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Sarah! I hope mine blooms half as pretty as yours and I will be happy. I would like to hear from others how it repeats for them and if they grow as a shrub or climber.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I just bought 1 own root this Spring, like yours. Pretty picture indeed.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Sara!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann,
    When we planted our Zeffies I knew nothing about roses ---- still don't---- so I just ordered a bunch of the same kind. Dug the holes and Shazam up come these neat roses. Loved the smell so here we are upteens years later, still knowing nothing about roses, but loving them just the same.
    After the big Spring flush they have flowers throughout the season but not anything to write home about. They also get black spot, which I ignore. I just use the period to clip out the dead stuff.

Toolbelt

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Toolbelt, I bet your mass of zeffies are a sight to behold.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Here is a shot of the front and North side.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you posted some pictures of your Zephys, Toolbelt. I hope Boncrow sees them. Thanks.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Toolbelt your zeffies are GORGEOUS! Thank you for sharing your pics. Mine are just babies now so it's exciting to see some thar are all grown up. This is my first year to plant OGR"s and DA roses so it will be fun to watch them grow. I can't wait to smell the zeffies too! And Sarah thanks for the beautiful pics of your zeffie that got me hooked!

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Glad you liked them. They are thorn-less so working around them is no problem.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

I've had my Zephy for about seven years, just allowed it to do its own thing. It gets a good spring flush, a few here and there during the summer and an "okay" fall flush. Love this rose, it's healthy and so easy to care for.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Sara Ann, Toolbelt and OGRose,
    Your ZDs are gorgeous! I got mine rather late last year, so no blooms at all until this spring and only a few so far....mostly, it's just putting on growth right now. Hoping mine will be as beautiful as yours one day. Mine is in a spot where I can add a support if needed, but IâÂÂm intending to grow it as a shrub unless it tells me otherwise :) ïÂÂ

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ogrose, yours is lovely and looks very healthy. Thank you, Pat, I hope yours does really well, my guess is, it will do good for you. Last year mine just had a handful of blooms early in the season, that was it.

• James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
    9 years ago

This is an older photo, but shows size and blooms of my Zephirine Drouhin. Walking on path/sidewalk behind her is a favorite to-do for guests--scent is just wonderful!

{{gwi:277602}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

James - That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

OGrose,your zeffie is beautiful and so is yours James. I cant wait for mine to bloom. Right now its so small I cant believe its going to get as big as yours are in the pictures.