Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

This is corny

But I know I can share with my comrades here.
The beauty and abundance and fragrance in my garden right now really touches my soul. There's not much that can wring my cynical heart--but DAMN!
I was overwhelmed by joy and sadness today.
Had no idea flowers could do such a thing.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Susan

Comments (9)

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

When you get right down to it Roses are like our children. We first think about having them, then we fuss over which type (boy or girl), followed by their names. Will they grow up big and strong, climbing up onto the house or will they be soft and cuddly? We watch them grow, year after year, knowing that with our tender care they can even outlive us. Some give off fragrance that can knock your socks off, while others just look so great it blows your mind. Then one day we lose one.... need I say more?

And, NO it's not corny.......

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I get it, Susan! I was thrilled today. I found some new growth on one of my beloved roses that I thought wasn't going to make it after this awful winter. Anyone else looking at that pathetic stump would have thought I was crazy. But to me that tiny bud of green coming out of what I though was dead wood was a thing of great beauty and joy. And my daffs and tulips and hyacinths are all blooming so lovely!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YAY! I am so glad your roses came through Seil. I knew they would. You take such good care of them. I can't wait for photos!
    Thank you toolbelt...
    Susan

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Nope, not "corny" at all, Susan. We've probably all been there. I wrote this nine years ago. I know what you're feeling! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Glorious!

• charleney
    9 years ago

NO! on corny! I look everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day. The Bare-knuckled roses are coming back. WOW! The 62 yr old Peace is coming along , slow but sure! The wonders of my garden (as weedy, as can be)after trying to retrieve everything is sweet as can be. It is totally full of roses. I think my one thought, that I must remember always.....Enjoy the goodness, and try not to see the bad!

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Not corny at all. I believe everyone here can totally relate. I get so excited over the little things my flowers and plants do and all my dh does is laugh at me, shake his head, and says "well I'm glad that makes you happy" and sometimes if he's busy he'll say "I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't care". Well we care and I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's stories, mishaps and the like, though I rarely comment. I love watching my babies grow and flower. We can never stop and smell the roses too much :)

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

I talk to my young rose plants, caress their lovely new red leaves and tell them how I appreciate them. Two days ago I had to firm the soil around my plants that had been loosened by a mole. Still kneeling in front of Clair Renaissance, I asked what more I could do to help her recover from the mole disturbance...then I felt this energy of this DARLING tender young being, I felt this calmness and resiliance, then I knew she was ok, and I WOULD BE OK TOO, that WE will ALL BE HEALED across the planet from all the trauma, suffering, fear and pain. Dare I mention I was an atheist all my life, it was plants that converted and freed my heart (the redwood trees were the first to have that effect on me).

Corny or not, I do think connections like this don't need validation, but are always open to anyone to join in and feel for themselves. If I may, I'd like to recommend a book to Susan and everyone--The Secret Life of Plants.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Once I find the right spot among the roses I'll hang my new sign.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Love your sign toolbelt68!