Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria80538

New Paradise Rose Bush Dying

maria80538
15 years ago

Any advise my new paradise rose bush seems to be dying. It did have a new bud when I first got it last week. Now The canes are brown. I pruned a little and it is dry inside no green. But there is a litle spot of green at the base. Is there anything I can do to save it? Or will it come back on it's own?

Thanks,

Maria

Comments (15)

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

It would be helpful to have a bit more information. Where did you buy it? Was it in a pot? A plastic sleeve? Bareroot?

Mid-May in your location is a bit late to be purchasing roses unless they are potted-up and leaved-out. Frankly, your rose sounds like it's in pretty bad shape, & I seriously doubt that it got in that condition in only a week's time. I hope you saved your receipt.

• maria80538
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry it's a bare root. It was in a plastic sleeve.

• chuck_billie
    15 years ago

By plastic sleeve do you mean a pre-packaged Rose at a Home Center or Wal Mart or some such place, or did it arrive mail order?

• maria80538
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was pre-packaged at home depot.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

OK, so you bought a body bag rose that already had a bloom on it... What did you do with it when you got it home?

• maria80538
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I planted it immediately and watered it well.

• User
    15 years ago

Maria,
    The truth is, it is dead.
    But, if you really want to and have lots of patience, you could water it very frequently and deeply and mulch it well, but don't put mulch right up next to the stems, about 1 inch around the stems.
    Don't buy plastic bag roses in May ever again.
    The end of March, mabey, if you must.
    Never in May.

• maria80538
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You!

• nicole__
    10 years ago

Our ground was still rock hard frozen in March this year. Hybrid teas in Colorado are always a challenge. :0)

You have a 1 year warranty......that's a plus.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I don't understand why every one thinks that the end of April or early May is too late to plant a bare root rose. I have to agree with Nicole, the ground is still frozen and undiggable in March. I can never plant until mid-April at the earliest and this year it was the first of May before the ground wasn't too soggy. And didn't most of Colorado just get dumped on with a ton of snow? I plant roses well into May with no problems at all. Besides that, my HD & Lowes didn't even get their "bagged" roses in until about 2 weeks ago.

Maria, as a rule the bagged roses aren't the best quality and can be difficult to get started. They also have a terrible reputation for being mislabeled. And they've been cut and packaged and kept in storage for a long time so they can be very dry and that makes them iffy at best for making it sometimes. It's usually best to soak them for at least a few hours (I've soaked mine for a day or more) before planting them.

As for your Paradise, cut the canes back to where you see a clear white or greenish center in the canes. Anything tan or brown is dead wood. If you have to cut them right to the bud union do it. Keep it watered but do not feed it yet. You can mound some soil over it and up the canes to help keep it moist. Give it some more time and see if it will sprout some new growth for you. One week isn't very much time and the rose may be busy trying to grow roots so it can support leaves.

• harmonyp
    10 years ago

Maria - great advice by Seil, as usual. Don't give up, but don't get disappointed. Body Bags (as we call them) are usually a gamble - if it grows you win, if it dies, you don't and you buy something healthy.

In future if you try to buy body bags, try to ensure the canes are green - or if you scratch the outside, you immediately see green. I've never purchased a body bag that went as far as getting a bloom, but against recommendations, I have bought body bags that have leaved out some.

Anyways - good luck. Have fun. Let us know how it does!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

If you still have the receipt take it back.

colorado has that saying, "if you don't like the weather right now, wait five minutes." It has dramatic swings in temperature.

I would recommend a much tougher rose for your climate. Colorado climate is extremely hard on roses. Check with a local group and see what works.

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

I buy body bags frequently, matter of fact I just bought some the other day. There are many roses only available as bagged. Biggest issue, like Seil mentioned is mislabeled packages. If you buy any more, I would suggest opening bag and place rose in a 5 gallon bucket of water for at least 24 hours. Do not plant, but pot it using good potting mix. Place in dappled shade for a few days so it acclimates to your weather. Plant it when it has leafed out and put out some growth.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

A common issue with body bag roses is that newbie consumers tend to select the ones with the most new growth, whereas the best choice would be one that is still dormant (but with green canes). If a plant makes top growth without feeder roots to supply water to the leaves, it is likely to die of dehydration.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Michael makes a very good point. IF you're going to buy a bodybag rose, DO look for one whose canes are still plump and green, but which does not have growth sprouting. IOW -- still dormant.
    The more "growth," the more stored energy has been lost.

I have stood in nurseries, and watched people grab the ones with long sprouts, crowing: "LOOK! This one's already growing."
    Try telling them that's not the plant they want. It's hopeless. They aren't listening.

Jeri