Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 22:16

Anyone have this rose? Your opinions?
Thinking of getting it.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your opinion of Claire Austin

I don't care for it here. Blooms shatter too quickly. If you like it to snow in summer, you'll like this rose.

o

That's one of the reason why I didn't order CA this year.
I waited and waited for this rose to be release here in this country. However, I was disappointed when I read about other people's comments on this rose:

1) "the petals fall off quickly".
2) "The blooms are smaller than what most people expected."
3) "The fragrance is either a hit or a miss."
4) It seems like the petals spot in the rain.

I have a few roses that shatter quickly and it can be quite annoying. I want to cut my roses and bring them indoors so that I can enjoy. I love the look of Munstead Wood. If I can redo my garden again, I will get rid of all my roses and plant a row of Munstead Wood, and Port-Sunlight.

Some photos posted at HMFrose website look beautiful. But there were a few that look plain boring.

White is not my favorite colour because it lacks excitment.

I do like the look of Lichfield Angel or Glamis Castle. But LA doesn't have any fragrance and GC has this myrth smell that I don't like.

For the meantime, I'm happy to give it a miss until I see one in person.

o

You might look at the white sport of Mayflower (can't remember the name--it's a fairly recent Austin release). It is supposed to have all the virtues of Mayflower--which should mean good disease-resistance. However, the size of the bloom may be slightly smaller than you want.

Or go a different route for a more exciting white/lightpinkpastel blend: the shrub Mystic Beauty sold at Roses Unlimited. It is very similar to Souvenir de la Malmaison. Check over on the Antique Roses forum--they are crazy about both of these shrubs. I will plant my new potted Mystic Beauty just as soon as it quits raining around here. I'm quite excited about this rose.

Kate

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 13:54

Thanks to those commenting on CA. I was wondering how it did.

'Bolero' is very nice. It has excellent productivity, and is also very fragrant.

Rosa 'Bolero'

o

I was also lusting after Claire Austin but not after reading the above posts. I agree that Bolero is a nice white rose. Do you think Mystic Beauty will survive in zone 5a?

o

pred, I'm don't have experience growing Bourbon roses, so I can't really comment on hardiness other than to note that Mystic Beauty is rated to Zone 6, so I guess it won't work for you, but Souvenir de la Malmaison is rated to Zone 5, so I guess you might give it a try. The two roses are so similar that experts argue over whether they are the same rose or not. If they are, than Mystic Beauty would probably be as hardy as the other one--but I don't really know. At any rate, the average person can't tell the difference between them, so go with Souvenir de la Malmaison. Her fans among old rose enthusiasts are legion.

Kate

o

As much as I like Claire Austin, I'd take Lion's Fairytale over it any day of the week. The only advantage Claire has over LF is fragrance. In every other way, Lion's Fairytale is a much better garden rose.

o

SDLM in zone 5 would likely require a lot of TLC. I say this because I saw a plant at the Garden of Legend and Romance in Ohio, and a pathetic speciman it was. If I were going to try SDLM, I think I would keep it potted.

I bought Proud Titania as a sort of SLDM substitute, a low growing very double and fragrant white rose which, I hoped, would be more hardy than SDLM, and possibly more at home in a damp climate. We shall see how that works out.

o

I have to agree with SLDM in Ohio. In Columbus at the Park of Roses, most survive...some die, but most survive, but unlike the other antiques, they have to cut it down to the ground because it dies back all the way to the ground and that's in the Z6 city of Columbus.

o

sparse, floppy, dies badly, don't bother - there are many, many better whites about than this poor performer.

o

Isn't Claire Austin a new rose from DA? How can you tell this rose so quickly when it has only been in the ground for a while.

J

o

Claire Austin has above average disease resistance. It is not a prolific bloomer although the rebloom is quick enough. However, it has a rangy, uneven growth habit and tends to flop over on itself if not pruned regularly. It does have a good fragrance.

If I had to pick a hardy, repeating and disease resistant white rose with an old fashioned bloom form, then I'd take either Lion's Fairytale or Petticoat Fairytale. Sure, they're not pure white at times, but close enough and superior performers all around.

o

I recently bought one and I greatly regret it. The flower is lovely but doesn't last a day before it drops all its petals. You can't use it as a cut flower because it drops all it's petals once it opens. It looks messy with all the petals underneath and the wilts if the temps get over 80. I am going to pull it out because I can't stand looking at the mess.

o

I have my Claire Austin pillared on a 4x4, and I'm very pleased with this rose. The blooms start out facing up, but when heavy with petals they turn downward; a beautiful effect for the way I'm using it. The canes are pliable and easy to work with, but the thorns make me pay attention when I'm pillaring.

I keep hearing that the blooms shatter quickly, but I have yet to get an answer from anyone what "quickly" means -- mine seem to last for close to a week, and I've never seen one shatter after only one day. That it eventually shatters is a plus for me, since it saves me the work of deadheading. I have not cut this rose for a vase, so I can't comment on vase life, but the roses on this very young shrub have weak necks. Alnwick, with it's upright habit and heavenly raspberry fragrance might be a better choice for a cut rose.

This is a new rose for me, so I don't know how it will perform over time. I haven't seen Claire with a major flush yet, but it always has a few lovely blooms. The climate here is hot and dry, and our weather has been erratic since I've planted this rose, jumping from 50's to 102F soon after planting it; 70's to high 90's since. I planted it in well amended peaty/composty soil (not a planting hole -- I amended the whole bed), and it gets drip irrigation with a good hosing off about once a week. Has not been fed or fertilized yet. Picture is below.

jannike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here