njmomma
12 years ago

Anyone have this rose? Your opinions?

Thinking of getting it.

Thanks!

Comments (46)

• kstrong
    12 years ago

I don't care for it here. Blooms shatter too quickly. If you like it to snow in summer, you'll like this rose.

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

That's one of the reason why I didn't order CA this year.
    I waited and waited for this rose to be release here in this country. However, I was disappointed when I read about other people's comments on this rose:

1) "the petals fall off quickly".
    2) "The blooms are smaller than what most people expected."
    3) "The fragrance is either a hit or a miss."
    4) It seems like the petals spot in the rain.

I have a few roses that shatter quickly and it can be quite annoying. I want to cut my roses and bring them indoors so that I can enjoy. I love the look of Munstead Wood. If I can redo my garden again, I will get rid of all my roses and plant a row of Munstead Wood, and Port-Sunlight.

Some photos posted at HMFrose website look beautiful. But there were a few that look plain boring.

White is not my favorite colour because it lacks excitment.

I do like the look of Lichfield Angel or Glamis Castle. But LA doesn't have any fragrance and GC has this myrth smell that I don't like.

For the meantime, I'm happy to give it a miss until I see one in person.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

You might look at the white sport of Mayflower (can't remember the name--it's a fairly recent Austin release). It is supposed to have all the virtues of Mayflower--which should mean good disease-resistance. However, the size of the bloom may be slightly smaller than you want.

Or go a different route for a more exciting white/lightpinkpastel blend: the shrub Mystic Beauty sold at Roses Unlimited. It is very similar to Souvenir de la Malmaison. Check over on the Antique Roses forum--they are crazy about both of these shrubs. I will plant my new potted Mystic Beauty just as soon as it quits raining around here. I'm quite excited about this rose.

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Thanks to those commenting on CA. I was wondering how it did.

'Bolero' is very nice. It has excellent productivity, and is also very fragrant.

{{gwi:280951}}

• predfern
    12 years ago

I was also lusting after Claire Austin but not after reading the above posts. I agree that Bolero is a nice white rose. Do you think Mystic Beauty will survive in zone 5a?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

pred, I'm don't have experience growing Bourbon roses, so I can't really comment on hardiness other than to note that Mystic Beauty is rated to Zone 6, so I guess it won't work for you, but Souvenir de la Malmaison is rated to Zone 5, so I guess you might give it a try. The two roses are so similar that experts argue over whether they are the same rose or not. If they are, than Mystic Beauty would probably be as hardy as the other one--but I don't really know. At any rate, the average person can't tell the difference between them, so go with Souvenir de la Malmaison. Her fans among old rose enthusiasts are legion.

Kate

• the_morden_man
    12 years ago

As much as I like Claire Austin, I'd take Lion's Fairytale over it any day of the week. The only advantage Claire has over LF is fragrance. In every other way, Lion's Fairytale is a much better garden rose.

• nastarana
    12 years ago

SDLM in zone 5 would likely require a lot of TLC. I say this because I saw a plant at the Garden of Legend and Romance in Ohio, and a pathetic speciman it was. If I were going to try SDLM, I think I would keep it potted.

I bought Proud Titania as a sort of SLDM substitute, a low growing very double and fragrant white rose which, I hoped, would be more hardy than SDLM, and possibly more at home in a damp climate. We shall see how that works out.

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

I have to agree with SLDM in Ohio. In Columbus at the Park of Roses, most survive...some die, but most survive, but unlike the other antiques, they have to cut it down to the ground because it dies back all the way to the ground and that's in the Z6 city of Columbus.

• User
    12 years ago

sparse, floppy, dies badly, don't bother - there are many, many better whites about than this poor performer.

• corgitrbl
    12 years ago

Isn't Claire Austin a new rose from DA? How can you tell this rose so quickly when it has only been in the ground for a while.

J

• the_morden_man
    12 years ago

Claire Austin has above average disease resistance. It is not a prolific bloomer although the rebloom is quick enough. However, it has a rangy, uneven growth habit and tends to flop over on itself if not pruned regularly. It does have a good fragrance.

If I had to pick a hardy, repeating and disease resistant white rose with an old fashioned bloom form, then I'd take either Lion's Fairytale or Petticoat Fairytale. Sure, they're not pure white at times, but close enough and superior performers all around.

• annestwrt
    9 years ago

I recently bought one and I greatly regret it. The flower is lovely but doesn't last a day before it drops all its petals. You can't use it as a cut flower because it drops all it's petals once it opens. It looks messy with all the petals underneath and the wilts if the temps get over 80. I am going to pull it out because I can't stand looking at the mess.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

I have my Claire Austin pillared on a 4x4, and I'm very pleased with this rose. The blooms start out facing up, but when heavy with petals they turn downward; a beautiful effect for the way I'm using it. The canes are pliable and easy to work with, but the thorns make me pay attention when I'm pillaring.

I keep hearing that the blooms shatter quickly, but I have yet to get an answer from anyone what "quickly" means -- mine seem to last for close to a week, and I've never seen one shatter after only one day. That it eventually shatters is a plus for me, since it saves me the work of deadheading. I have not cut this rose for a vase, so I can't comment on vase life, but the roses on this very young shrub have weak necks. Alnwick, with it's upright habit and heavenly raspberry fragrance might be a better choice for a cut rose.

This is a new rose for me, so I don't know how it will perform over time. I haven't seen Claire with a major flush yet, but it always has a few lovely blooms. The climate here is hot and dry, and our weather has been erratic since I've planted this rose, jumping from 50's to 102F soon after planting it; 70's to high 90's since. I planted it in well amended peaty/composty soil (not a planting hole -- I amended the whole bed), and it gets drip irrigation with a good hosing off about once a week. Has not been fed or fertilized yet. Picture is below.

jannike

• dara_gardener-Vancouver Island, Z8
    8 years ago

Sow_what how is your Claire Austin doing now after a year in the ground? I'm considering using it as a short climber.

• raingreen
    7 years ago

Bump. Yes Sow_what, inquiring minds want to know how the rose is doing!

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

I am not Sow_what but wanted to share my two cents on this rose. It is not a prefect rose but it has some great virtues including excellent disease resistance and wonderful fragrance. It also blooms in several flushes through the season. I have mine planted in a group of three which helps offset its slender but full growth. Musks are not known for their large blooms but the blooms are a bit larger in spring and fall. They do not last long in the heat.

• raingreen
    7 years ago

Wow Dave, lovely blooms. I had wanted to grow it as a shrub but I don't think it's upright enough--and it won't get much corrective pruning.

• kstrong
    7 years ago

I didn't like it -- gave it away long ago.

• oldrosarian
    7 years ago

I am still trying to keep Claire Rose alive. This one also has about the same description as Claire Austin. She has better blooms but they spot in the rain, poor, weak growth but the fragrance is okay but not strong. Did I forget to mention BS?

• kirisimms
    7 years ago

I'm so disappointed in this rose. The blooms fade within a day, and they are very small. They have very little scent, and what scent there is not pleasant. I will dig them up in the spring and give them away. I am waiting for some Sceptred Isle bare root to bloom and I hope those ones will live up to their reputation.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Hi all, I was gonna order claire austin for next spring but now I think I ll find another white Austin. But can anyone post a picture of their Claire austin, please? Thanks.

My Winchester Cathedral change to pink this summer so Im thinking to get wollerton or windmere instead, have anybode have this rose?

thanks

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

So beautiful, Daisy! Is yours own root or grafted? I have an own root Claire Austin that is growing very slowly and not many blooms. I hope it will take off this year.

• romogen
    7 years ago

FYI, the white sport of The Mayflower that Kate mentioned earlier in the thread is Susan Williams Ellis:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.63389.0

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

well after reading the negative reviews on the Claire Austin Rose I called David Austin and switched it out for Winchester Cathedral hopefully I made a good choice

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Hi karen, Thanks, I think it's grafted as I didn't try to buy own root specially.

Last year I brought Claire Austin and winchester cathedral at the same time. I love winchester pure white color, however, it's been very weak in my garden. Our climate is warm and should be in 10a, most of the DA Roses grows vigorous and large in the garden, but Winchester stays less than 2 feet, and such a b.s. Magnet. Most of time are like this, I don't know what's wrong with it. And it's blooms last for 2 - 3 days only.

the photo I took it today.

Daisy

• daisymeowmeow
    7 years ago

Karen, by the way, since last year my Claire Austin didn't perform well, so I made a rooting, this is around one year old, it's having 'third flush'. Growing fast bc of our warm climate.

Daisy

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    7 years ago

My Claire Austin is apparently happy here. It has plenty of flowers for the most part, but like others have mentioned, they do not last very long. They sure fall apart rather quickly.

• K Silk
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Wow. I am surprised by such negative reviews. I have probably 50 rose varieties, and quite a few david austin roses. Mine is also pillared on a 4x4 post. I am growing espalier fruit trees and the posts are in the centers between the trees. I think this rose is the star of the garden. Her smell is out of this world. I love the light citrus fragrance. She is one of my favorites in the garden. I have had her 3 years, with almost no blackspot issues and she is almost always in bloom. She bloomed right through the winter and still has buds now in febuary (I am in the PNW, and we did have a fairly mild winter). She doesn't last long as a cut rose, but the blooms last quite a while for me while they are still on the bush.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I always think that it is Interesting how roses can perform so uniquely in such a myriad of different climates, soil, and individual growers.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

KS, your garden sounds beautiful. I'd love to see your pillars between the espaliered fruit trees if ever you'd like to share. What a dream!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Another vote for photos ksilk! Gosh it sounds lovely ! :)

• K Silk
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This was last year and it has grown quite a bit since then. This was year two of doing the espalier. Claire is now much higher on the pillar. Unfortunately I don't have a great close up of her. Please ignore the yellow grass, here in the Seattle area it is so wet we only get a month of yellow grass and I just roll with it. This year I am actually going to be putting a rose on each pillar as I just love the effect (I wanted to try it out on one first and see how I liked it).

I will add some more once she really starts up again in the spring so you can have a better idea of her on the pillar.

6 years ago

K Silk, you just blew my mind!!!! I'm going to do this! I recently realized that I have a few hundred feet of prime south-facing perimeter that would be perfect for more climbers. I'm working hard to cut out the weedy trees, etc. This would be perfect and I've dreamt my whole life of having espaliered fruit trees!!! Did you do that yourself or purchase them "pre-espaliered"? If the latter, from where did you purchase them? My next-door neighbors had this in Belgium where it's commonly seen and it set the standard for me at a young impressionable age. You win the prize today for most creative fencing. Feel free to share more info on the entire set up or start another post if you like so as to not go too OT on this one! :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

I feel very inspired by this ! It never ever occurred to me to use a 4x4 with a cap like that. I feel so dumb but so enlightened now . It looks fantastic!

• K Silk
    6 years ago

You can buy them established, my local nursery has them and does a great job. It does take ages to do it yourself I have to warn you, like 5 years before they produce fruit. I am nuts and wanted to do them from a whip because I wanted the whole tree the same fruit. All the places I found with Espalier trees had them with a different variety for each branch! I am doing 2 apple varieties and a pear. I bought mine on https://www.starkbros.com/ but you can also get any old fruit tree and just start with the first two branches. I know costco has fruit trees about now. Starting with at least the first row of branches knocks a year off your time frame to that can be helpful!

Here is a little more inspiration: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QEOO1madaTs/TehOIsiIk0I/AAAAAAAAAIQ/TF7jvF0IBpg/s1600/DSC_9232.JPG

• K Silk
    6 years ago

I am also happy to share my pinterest board; most of my ideas re espalier are right at the beginning because it was the very first thing I did when I moved in!

https://www.pinterest.com/katecooks/garden/

• spankgo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello! I'm looking for a white climbing rose that's shade tolerant and has good disease resistance. Claire Austin seemed to fit the bill, but I'm concerned by the reviews on this thread. I also was looking at Sally Holmes and Iceberg. I'd like to train the rose up a flat trellis against my home. I'd like it to be somewhat compact 6'-10', or trainable to be so,. Any other suggestions out there for a white climbing rose that fits my description? I'm in zone 8a and the wall is south facing. Thank You!

5 years ago

Have you looked at any of the hybrid musk's yet? Besides Sally there's Felicia, Penelope, bubble bath and prosperity among others.

• spankgo
    5 years ago

I'll check them out. Thanks, Vaporvac :)

• spankgo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks, Vaporvac :) The ones you listed look mostly bush variety and mostly pink. I'm looking for a white climbing rose. But I'll search for hybrid musks in the form of climbing roses and see what I find.

• ccbath
    4 years ago

I certainly wouldn't recommend this rose, it doesn't grow well in my sheltered English garden. The stems are too weak to support the flowers, so you really have to tie each stem to stop the weight of the flower bending the stem right down. I've tried cutting it right back but still the stems grow back weakly. Personally I'd go for Iceberg if you really want a white climber, though it is prone to various fungal diseases. If you want something larger and much more vigourous I'd go for Alberic Barbier. It really only flowers once but it is usually evergreen in our part of the world.

Also my specimen (bought from David Austin themselves) is often the palest lemon rather than white.

• Deborah Chapin
    3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation this rose I’m not at all happy with. They stared turning yellow leaves and withering this past month. I contacted DA roses and they tell me not enough water (after a week of rain) and we have more than enough water and not enough food although every other rose I have is growing and blooming off the hook this year on the same food. I prefer sturdy industrial strength plants so I’m taking these out and replacing. Very disappointing.

• Gill Wheeler
    2 years ago

Really rather disappointed with this rose. the blooms last a very short time and fall apart so quickly and easily, petals all over the place, The heavy heads droop and all my blooms have now finished. I planted it in a prominent place in the garden, exoecting it to be something special. This is certainly not a rose i would choose again and will move it for next year.

• winnie lyons
    2 years ago

I strongly agree we have done exactly the same, expensive mistake