Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capeheart

Curious - Rose Combos

CapeHeart
9 years ago

What have been your most beautiful combinations together - e.g. which Roses do you like planting together for a show stopper and what periannuals did you put with them. It's been a long cold winter here - trying to be creative and switch things up a bit. :) Love to hear what you put together!

Comments (14)

• charleney
    9 years ago

I really am not a purple fan, BUT....I love the deep burgundy, purple, with lemon yellow !

• CapeHeart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes that sounds pretty. I do have purple thought about adding more. I am putting in a new area and thought about some new rose combos - just to experiment :)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I plant my roses far apart, but they all get so big in our climate that they mingle all by themselves - not planned by me. The results are usually great. Here are Buff Beauty and Summer Wine with a purple clematis.

Jackie

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

My beds tend to be monochromatic for the roses, so it doesn't sound very creative, lol. I do pale pinks with bright pinks, etc. Then pale apricots with bolder ones; that bed has a lot of white in it, too. But it really ties together everything nicely, because I have a lot of gardens out front. It could easily look too busy, because I have mixed shrubs and trees, and a few arbors and birdbaths, too!

I love salvias for color with the roses. I use Maynight (dark purple) extensively with the pinks. I use nepeta (more blue) with the dark fuchsia roses (that bed has mauves as well).

White dianthus grow and bloom well here, so that shows up often, too. I love lamb's ears even though they spread, so I do a lot of it, and the white dianthus looks great with it. I have a variegated white sedum that goes in most beds.

I use shrubs a lot, like caryopteris or small wegelias, and big rosemaries. I have to cover a lot of space, though, so the backbones of my gardens aren't the best idea for smaller ones :) I had to find things that show up and give structure from way down the road because of the way the neighborhood/main road is. I have to use the same plant repeated a lot, if that makes sense. I don't really repeat the roses, because I like too many of them, lol. I just color co-ordinate them so that warm pink goes with the warm pinks, etc. Boring to some, but effective (and I like it best anyway :D ).

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

I like big blowsy roses combined with simple singles. A big bloom with a yellow center planted near a yellow single, for example.
    For perennials, I plant similar to Meredith. I repeat the same plant in all of my beds. This gives unity to my color scheme. Nepeta, Mullein, Dianthus, Scabiosa, Cranesbills.
    Those are my primary companion plants.
    I wouldn't say I combine roses in a monochromatic way but rather I try to use the theory of "color echoes". Using shades/tints/tones of the same basic color. I have mostly cool/silver/blue hues of the colors I use. I do like a lot of saturated colors. Deep and rich.
    Here is link to my garden album:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 spring flush

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

I love it when St. Patrick (yellow) blooms next to Route 66 (very purple.)
    I also have Marilyn Monroe (apricot) next to Hot Cocoa (red-purple).
    I also have a red-pink-white section of garden with Gourmet Popcorn (white), Crimson Bouquet (non-fading red), Gypsy Carnival (red with yellow reverse), Charles Aznavour (white and pink), Candy Cane mini (pink and white) and Mon Cheri (red and pink).

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Love your garden, Susan. Jackie too :) And all the descriptions sound dreamy, inspiring me once again to take a trip to the garden center.

• chardie
    9 years ago

I've planted 4 roses close together out front - Dr. Huey, Bonica, Graham Thomas and Elsie May. I love the pink and yellow especially. There are pale yellow foxgloves nearby.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

Most of my roses are in a 9' X 20' rose bed and I used in the past Veronica 'Royal Candles' on the 4 corners and last year decided to use Melampodium on the 4 corners instead. I have an obelisk with Clematis 'Rosemoor' on it in the center of the bed. I used to have an arbor but it came out of the ground due to Sandy.

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

Twilight Zone, Sugar Moon, Gemini, Black Tafetta heuchera and lime colored potato vine or bacopa.

I love the pop and contrast!

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

PoorButRoseRich: what is that gorgeous peachy bloom in the bootm row on page 1? Is it a good flower for cutting? i.e. long stems, lasting power. Love your bunny too!

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

I love yellows and pinks together so gold medal and pink peace make a beautiful combo for me.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I love Night Owl and Sombreuil climbing next to each other on a large trellis going up to a deck. I'm very fond of purples juxtaposed with cream, white, or yellow. I'm also excited about Rosette Delizy sandwiched by Monsieur Tillier and General Gallieni at my mom's house. It should be quite magnificent in a few years.

Jay

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I love the deep yellows next to the fuschias.

This is Ch-Ching next to Peter Mayle.

Carol