Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cambel_gw

Your Best Red?

cambel
9 years ago

Hi all,

An older neighbor had a rose in her front that she said her mother planted 50 years ago or so. Well she did not realize that the rose she had was Dr. Huey, so the original rose was probably gone for decades.

This last winter finally took out the Dr. Huey and she was asking about a good red rose. I have grown pretty much every other color but have no experience with Reds.

What is your best Red Rose? A good grower that doesn't attract disease. Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Here is a link that helped me choose a red rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best true red

• florentina78
    9 years ago

Hard to give an answer that will help in any case - it depends on a lot of facts unknown to me.
    So let me say my roses here grow in the cool Atlantic climate in the Upper-Danube-Region in about 1800 feet above sea level.
    Best in color of my noble roses is "Grande Amore" (Kordes ADR-Rose) and good is also the Red Leonardo da Vinci (Meilland).
    As a very large shrub (can be grown as a climbing rose) the Red Flame is a touch darker in color (NIRP Adam) and could be a good choice ind this size.
    And as climbing roses the bright color of the Florentina (Kordes) could enjoy you too and also maybe you should have a closer look at the Belkanto (Noack).

[Maybe the color is not exactly what you are searching for but just have a look at Rosa Elbflorenz (Meilland smells wonderful) and at the Rosa Soul (fragrance and extremely healthy) Breeder: Tantau
    This last one is new in the market.]

Hope with this names you will find the ones used in the States and maybe there is something for you between.
    good luck
    florentina78

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

And here is a link from the gallery forum, where you can see photographs of red roses. There are many choices. I ended up with Firefighter, because it is fragrant and disease resistant in my area. Veteran's Honor is popular with my rose society members. I wish I had room for more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Show off your red roses

• vettin
    9 years ago

Check out Bon Air rose garden in Arlington, Va. You may need to research disease resistant after you decide which ones you like since this area is black spot prone and I think they may spray

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

I concur with florentina78 about the 'Grande Amore'. It's in my rose garden and is always a favorite--that red can be seen across the yard.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I've been admiring Grande Amore (in Palatine's catalog) for a couple years now. If I had the room, I would get that one--seems to have everything going for it--gorgeous red blooms, disease-resistant, fragrance, and so forth.

I lost my Chrysler Imperial to our crazy winter weather. Mine always was a wimp of a plant, but lots of posters praise it highly. I replaced it this morning with Oklahoma which gets good ratings at helpmefind.com. Didn't have time to put in an order to Palatine for Grand Amore, unfortunately.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I like my Crimson Bouquet. Nice red color that holds well and a fast repeat. Fairly good disease resistance for me. You might want to check a local society and see what they would recommend for your area.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

Grand Amore makes a great specimen plant--large and bushy.

When we first grew it, the blooms had a color fault, a white stripe on one of the petals that made it unsuitable for exhibition. Lately, I've been able to get blooms without this issue.

• florentina78
    9 years ago

Message 2 of three equal ones - I'll try to delete #1 & #2 and beg your pardon.

This post was edited by florentina78 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 10:30

• florentina78
    9 years ago

"Grande Amore" in rain.
    Hope that image will help a little.
    florentina78

• florentina78
    9 years ago

Who knows more about the rose Rosa Burghausen?
    I am very interested in that rose, as I have heard that this one should become a taller bush within few years (up to 7 feet +).
    I would like to grow it between some Spiraea vanhouttei on a sunny slope to get some color there.
    Like that idea without knowing if that is really a good one.
    Maybe somebody knows more about this rose ...
    Not much was to find in internet about it, maybe because this one seems to be too large for a modern, a smaller garden?
    florentin78

• bendipa
    9 years ago

You didn't mention whether scent was important. If not then 2 outstanding blood-red roses I would recommend are Ingrid Bergman and Grande Amore. IB probably has the larger blooms and each bloom looks more full than that of GA, so I prefer it.

If you want a red rose with equally good looking blooms but with scent, there is Mr. Lincoln, but it is tall for a HT. Another great scented one is Royal William which grows up to 3' tall, the normal height for a HT.

• welltraveled
    9 years ago

David Austins The Dark Lady is a great one. Blooms on the bush all summer lonf

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Grande Amore, Black Magic, Veteran's Honor, Let Freedom Ring .... Love them all .... Most disease resistant is Grande Amore.

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

Not sure what size you are looking for. Dr. Huey can get big so hard to judge by that.

As a climber Don Juan is an amazing red rose here in Texas.
    Olympiad is great if you don't worry about sent.
    Veteran's honor is another one that doesn't have a ton of scent.

I love my Chrysler Imperial.
    In the Mood and Lasting Love can put on gorgeous blooms, but I have never loved the plant form of either.
    Legends is a rose I planted last year in honor of my mother. I have really liked it. It hasn't taken off yet growth wise, but the blooms it produces are huge 5-6inches across.

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Without a doubt: 'Double Knock Out'

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Double Knock Out'

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I planted Liebeszauber last year, the bush doesn't always have the desired look, but it is healthy and the blooms are plentiful and lovely.

• Molineux
    9 years ago

I cannot recommend a single red Hybrid Tea for an elderly neighbor who is not going to spray it with fungicides. In Washington DC almost all reds grown organically will completely defoliate from black spot. The good news is there are a few options outside of the HT class. My top pick is the shrub rose DOUBLE KNOCK OUT. It is very easy to grow and widely available at any home improvement store. If she has a lot of room then another option is the Hybrid Kordesii QUADRA, although it is harder to find and available only through a few online vendors. Neither DKO or QUADRA are fragrant. If she wants some scent there is the China rose CRAMOISI SUPERIEUR although it is borderline hardy in USDA Zones 6b/7a. This last winter for example would have caused some cane damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cramoisi Superieur at the Antique Rose Emporium

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Firefighter, planted this year.

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Olympiad planted last year has got everything right except fragrance. Firefighter in front was he runt before it went in the ground and then has grown like crazy. Chrysler Imperial started off good, got attacked by mildew and has been in a funk since. All the other HT have started another growth spurt.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I have also found red double knockouts to be disease resistant and hardy here without much fuss...

{{gwi:281384}}

{{gwi:281386}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 17:09

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler