Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Did I overdo it?

gardenfanatic2003
11 years ago

Today I fed my roses with liquid fertilizer. I was thinking I had heard to give each rose 1 gallon. Don't know where I heard that. So I gave each one a gallon, and 1/2 gallon on the minis. After I finished, I started wondering where in the world I got that idea. I used MaxSea, which is 16-16-16. Did I overdo it?

Deanna

Comments (4)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

From what I see on line, Deanna, Maxsea is kelp based and mild enough for the Carniverous plant people to use without burning their plants. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems. If you're really worried, give them all a good drink tomorrow to flush some of it further through the soil, but I don't think you should have any issues. Kim

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    11 years ago

When in doubt, read the label and follow label instructions. AAMOF, always read the label before using any product. If the label is unreadable, do what roseseek did and go to the product website.They most often have directions there.
    I most cases if it calls for a certain amount, using more will not be better.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I think they'll be fine. Just keep them watered to help move it through the soil.

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The instructions say 1/2 gallon per plant or 1 gallon per 6 square feet, and that's for roses, flowers, tomatoes, herbs, and vegetables. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to give the same amount of fertilizer to a 3-4 foot tall rose bush that I would to a daylily or phlox. I didn't give any of my perennials 1/2 gallon. They each got about a quart or less, depending on the size of the plant.

Kim, I believe the carnivorous plant folks dilute it more than what the instructions say.

If it's going to burn (and I suspect it won't if a perennial or herb can handle 1/2 gallon), when will the leaves start to show it?

Deanna