Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Advice needed - Rose trampled

Hi there. My brand new John Davis I planted less than 2 weeks ago was stepped on by my dog and it snapped the rose clean off at ground level. Wondering if it will come back or if it's gone?

It's own root, and was very small. probably 6-8 inches tall. Anyone run into a similar situation? Not sure what to do. :/

Comments (10)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

My mom accidentally trampled one of mine it came back no problem. I would give it some time and see what happens

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad to hear yours came back.

I'm wondering how long I should even wait? From what I've read about John Davis, it grows extremely slowly.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

I have an own root rose that a rabbit ate the night I planted it. It was about the size of yours when it was planted and after a couple weeks of doing nothing it has exploded with new leaves and is looking very healthy. If your rose has any decent vigor it should be just fine. Make sure to keep it watered.

I also have experience with another rose that I have clipped to the soil line a few times (hard to explain why) and it has always come back with more growth and vigor.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If it's own root it should come back up from the roots just fine. The dog didn't kill the root ball so it's going to want to grow. Give it a few weeks and I'll bet you see new canes coming up from the ground. And please, put some kind of fencing around it so the dog can't step on it again, lol!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Whenever I plant tiny or small rose bushes, I put a short (maybe 2 ft tall by 18 inches wide) wire cage around them. This means that the deer won't eat them, but also that I won't forget they are there and step on them! I take the cages off after they have grown out the top of the cage.

Jackie

Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosecandy - Thank you for the positive feedback. This makes me feel so much better. I hope mine comes back as well as yours have!!

Seil - That's great to hear! I really hope so. The fact that it was a John Davis and I was told I would basically see zero growth this year made me really nervous. I will keep watering it and hope for the best!!! HAHA. Well... I do have a fence around it but you know german shepherds are persistant.

Jackie - thanks for the tip! I just have decorative fencing around the outside but a small cage is probably a good idea since these are so tiny. I'm usually good about not stepping on them but the pup and the hubby not so much :P

Thank you all for such great feedback. I feel a lot better now. :)

• frances_in_nj
    9 years ago

Do you think the same would apply to my John Cabot, that DH accidentally mowed down with the lawnmower? Though its not DH's fault, I feel sick about it, because this was an ownroot from Heirloom that I had been babying in a pot for a year. It had just put on enough size that it could go out in the garden and compete, and now its just a bit of stubble. Is there any kind of tonic that I could give it? Such a thing would also be useful for a couple of small roses that just never seem to take off, even after a couple of years. Thanks for any words of wisdom and comfort! What an awful year this has been in my garden, what with the winter, rosette, and now this!!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

While there are never guarantees most roses want to live and grow. Own root roses in particular can come back because you don't have to worry about losing the graft and root stock coming up. If the root ball is healthy there is no reason why it should not send up new growth.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I had similar issues and our own root bands came back...
    So hopefully your does too! :)

frances_in_nj ...give it a chance it may come back also...

Original Author
    9 years ago

frances I am sorry to hear that. I would think their advice would apply to all roses - for both our sakes I sure hope so!

Thanks everyone for the kind words & advice. I have hope now that it will!!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm