Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Catmint with Roses

ronda_in_carolina
15 years ago

I am so in love with this combo.

It makes me want to put catmint under all my roses.

Look at the way it has lifted itself up into the canes!!

{{gwi:237816}}

Comments (22)

• aklinda
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the photo - I am planning to plant catmint around the base of 4 old, large leggy roses and it's great to see it looks as good in reality as it does in my head. I just love catmint - easy care, blooms continually and grows well in my desert climate with little care. I've not had a problem with invasiveness that some folks have mentioned.

• dan1465_z7nj
    15 years ago

I gave away 5 or 6 Clumps of it over the last 2 months or so. This alone tells a whole story.

Anyhow, as I was handing it over with a strong warning about how it can be invasive, I always say it's one of only two rather invasive Plants that are worth growing. In my opinion. The second one is Monarda.

I'm with you here. It's a great Plant. It's easily controlable if you've Mulched well and remember to cut them in half and give half of each plant away each Spring.

Thats a Beautiful Picture.

Happy Gardening, Dan

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Ronda,

I'm with you...I LOVE this stuff.. I must have 100 clumps of this throughout most of my beds. I never get tired of it, and it doesn't seem invasive to me at all. And, once it's established it seems to keep the weeds down as well as keeps the soil from drying out.

Robert

• veilchen
    15 years ago

I love it too!

• jerseywendy
    15 years ago

Stunning picture, Ronda. And I'm glad someone mentioned "Walker's Low" because I planted some this year. Can't wait to see them all in bloom together.

---
    Wendy

• jody
    15 years ago

I have the Walker's Low. So far it hasn't spread. I love it because it looks and smells good all the time, even when it is not in bloom, and the color goes with everything and it is absolutely carefree. I sheered mine back twice last year, got repeat bloom both times. I may sheer back three times this year. I split up one clump and spread it around some barren areas. I'll keep an eye on it though. It should be easy to deal with if its a bit evasive. Nothing like salvia uglosia.

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

I have catmint too. I don't know a whole lot about it though. I bought a purple colored one a few years ago before I moved and it stayed short and in one spot. When I saw a white one last year I bought it and planted near Cherry Parfait. It grew rather well, maybe a foot tall but I was stunned this spring...it has grown at least 2 to 3 ft tall! I didn't know it would grow that big. In fact some of the branches are falling over....
    My cat loves it too.

Tammy

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know at one point I did purchase Walkers Low. This may very well be that variety. This is as big as a clump as I have had....and this year makes its third year in that location.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Beautiful pic! I love it, too! I grow the Walker's Low variety. It is a hybrid so doesn't come true from seed. Mine get about 2 feet tall and as much wide. Right now there is one blooming its head off next to 'Miami Moon' and some yellow CA. poppies - so gorgeous!

I'm thinking you might need some hollyhocks along that fence. ; )

Diana

• prairie-rose
    15 years ago

I love the catmint/rose combo too! I just dug out a big clump of Walker's Low, though--way too big/tall/floppy for the space. When I tried to divide it, I found it too hard to do with a shovel--it's actually woody and very hard to divide, if you let it go too long! I have it in spots all over my garden, so I'll just remember to divide my clumps sooner, before they turn into actual woody sub-shrubs.

• berndoodle
    15 years ago

I love catmint, too. It isn't invasive here because it has to stick around where the water is.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

I have what is supposed to be Walkers Low but it still gets pretty big. I love that stuff. Yours is lovely with your Knockout. Love that birdhouse too.

Carol

• buford
    15 years ago

I had catmint and it didn't do anything. I need the invasive kind!

• bellarosa
    15 years ago

I love it too and plant it everywhere. I have both 'Six Hills Giant' and 'Walker's Low':

{{gwi:281479}}
    {{gwi:191552}}
    {{gwi:191555}}
    {{gwi:281481}}

{{gwi:281483}}
    {{gwi:236203}}

• lainey_6b_va
    15 years ago

My cats and the neighbor cats also think it is lovely. They roll in it, fight over it, and chew it.

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

I thought what I have is Catmint - but mine arches out from a central point. It doesn't really grow up, but up, out and down. Lovely!!

I love to cut some and put into arrangements; however, my husband is allergic to catmint!!! Really annoys me, because it just looks heavenly mixed in with my roses! Drat!

Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

bellarosa, I'm so impressed with the pictures of your garden. Your garden is simply beautiful in every photo. The design is so professional-looking, in the best sense. I hope you post more pictures in the future.

Ingrid

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Ronda, that is a very striking combination! Gawgejous, Dahlink.

Bellarosa, your garden is very pretty.

• bellarosa
    15 years ago

Ingrid and Patricia,
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I think catmint is the best perennial for roses. Believe it or not, I actually started out with just 6 plants and I kept dividing it over and over. Its easily one of my favorite companion plants for roses.

• norabelle
    15 years ago

I just love the combination, too! I have numerous patches of catmint around my yard, and some I have to transplant because of foundation work. I have been wondering what to do with it! I have a William Baffin and rugosa who will both be getting some new company this weekend! Yeah! :)

I love how much I learn on GW!

cheers,
    Nora

• GFVeggie
    12 years ago

I have heard that catmint helps keeps pests out of a rose garden. Does anyone else have any information on this? I planted it because I like to dry it for my cat if it helps to protect my roses all the better.

Phyllis